Solving Diff Equation: y'' + ln(y) = yx

• Thread starter hedlund
  • Start date
In summary, the author is finding the diff equation hard and suggests trying a numerical approximation near the origin or setting an initial condition. They define a function y(x) that satisfies the differential equation (1) and state an asymptotic solution near the origin.
hedlund
I'm finding this diff equation hard
[tex] y'' + \ln{y} = yx [/tex]
How do I solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerically.

Willing to agree with the previous comment ... I'm not sure how well the classical numerical solution methods bite, but if nothing else you can discretize and do for example a simplistic DM or FE etc. analysis.

I don't want it numerically, I want it exact if possible

rearrange: [tex] y'' - xy = -\ln(y) [/tex], solve the homogeneous equation for [tex] y [/tex] then use those solutions as an integrating factor, or Green's function to solve the equation.

dt

Dr Transport said:
rearrange: [tex] y'' - xy = -\ln(y) [/tex], solve the homogeneous equation for [tex] y [/tex] then use those solutions as an integrating factor, or Green's function to solve the equation.

dt
No, that won't work: this is not a linear equation. The right hand side is ln(y), NOT ln(x)!

We MIGHT make some headway if we seek an asymptotic approximation in the vicinity of x=0 (i.e, we make a supposition that our unknown function y(x) is defined at x=0)
Let us state an initial condition:
[tex]y(0)=y_{0}>0[/tex]
In addition, we set:
[tex]y'(0)=y'_{0}[/tex]

Define:
[tex]y(x)=Y(x)+y_{0}[/tex],
so that:
[tex]Y(0)=0,Y'(0)=y_{0}'[/tex]

In the vicinity of x=0, we have:
[tex]ln(y)=ln(y_{0}+Y)=ln(y_{0})+ln(1+\frac{Y}{y_{0}})\approx{ln(y_{0})}+\frac{Y}{y_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]yx=y_{0}x+Yx\approx{y}_{0}x[/tex]

Hence, close to x=0, we have the differential equation in Y:
[tex]Y''+\frac{Y}{y_{0}}=y_{0}x-ln(y_{0}), Y(0)=0 (1)[/tex]
The general solution of the homogenous equation (that is, [tex]Y''+\frac{Y}{y_{0}}=0[/tex]) is:
[tex]Y_{h}(x)=A\cos(\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{0}}})+B\sin(\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{0}}})[/tex]
A particular solution to (1) is the linear function:
[tex]Y_{p}=y_{0}^{2}x-y_{0}ln(y_{0})[/tex]
We therefore set
[tex]Y(x)=Y_{h}+Y_{p}[/tex]
[tex]Y(0)=0\to{A}=y_{0}ln(y_{0})[/tex]
Whereas:
[tex]Y'(0)=y_{0}'\to{B}=y_{0}'\sqrt{y_{0}}-(y_{0})^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

Hence, we get the asymptotic solution, to first order:
[tex]y(x)=y_{0}+y_{0}ln(y_{0})\cos(\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{0}}})+(y_{0}'\sqrt{y_{0}}-(y_{0})^{\frac{5}{2}})\sin(\frac{x}{\sqrt{y_{0}}})+y_{0}^{2}x-y_{0}ln(y_{0})[/tex]

I would like to emphasize that this is only a first order approximation, valid in the limit [tex]x\to0[/tex]

Last edited:
I've thought about this a lot ...

(1) y'' + ln(y) = yx
(2) ln(y'' + ln(y)) = ln(yx) = ln(y)+ln(x)
(3) ln(y'' + ln(y)) = ln(y) + ln(x)
(4) ln(y'' + ln(y)) - ln(y) = ln(x)
(5) ln(y''/ln(y) + ln(y)/ln(y)) = ln(x)
(6) ln(y''/ln(y) + 1) = ln(x)
(7) y''/ln(y) + 1 = x
(8) y'' + ln(y) = ln(y)*x

Since the left side of (8) is equal to the left hand side of (1) this must give that ln(y) * x = y * x => ln(y) = y => y = e^y.

However I don't think there exist a solution to y = e^y ... if it exists it must a complex integer so y is a constant function. Using math software this gives y = 0.3181315052047641 - 1.3372357014306895i

Step 5) is wrong hedlund
From 4), we have:
ln(y''+ln(y))-ln(y)=ln(y''/y+ln(y)/y)
As I'm sure you agree with..

arildno said:
Step 5) is wrong hedlund
From 4), we have:
ln(y''+ln(y))-ln(y)=ln(y''/y+ln(y)/y)
As I'm sure you agree with..

Yeah it was plain stupid ... I thought of it as ln(ln(y)) :/

To able to find exact solutions to (non-linear) diff.eqs are more often than not just a happy chance, NEVER the rule.
In fact, you'll meet just about every exact solution of diff.eqs which has been /can be found through your studies, they are extremely few in number.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific formulas for different types of equations.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains only first derivatives, while a second-order differential equation contains second derivatives.

4. What is the meaning of the symbols in the equation y'' + ln(y) = yx?

The symbol y'' represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to the independent variable x. The symbol ln(y) represents the natural logarithm of the function y. The symbol yx represents the product of the function y and the independent variable x.

5. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex and do not have a closed-form solution. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution.