Atoms: How Many Protons, Neutrons & Electrons?

• Thread starter scientifico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: CO2 at STP would occupy 22.4 liters. 6.023 x 1023 molecules of H2O at STP would occupy 22.4 liters. However, as water approaches the freezing point, its volume decreases. Thus, when water freezes, it gets a tiny fraction smaller in volume than if frozen at high pressure.
scientifico
Hello, I read that equal volumes of different gas contain the same number of molecules so if I solidify that gases they will occupe different volumes?

How do we know that for example H contain 1 electron 1 proton and 1 neutron, E contain 2 , Li 3, Be 4 and etc..?
is it a consequence of a reasoning or they were counted sperimentally? how?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes I believe you are correct. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think a mole or 6.02X10^23 molecules of CO2 gas at STP occupies 22.4 liters. A and a mole or 6.02x10^23 molecules of H2O gas also occupies 22.4liters. As you approach the freezing point of water, the volume decreases until around 4 Celsius, then it expands so as to take the shape of solid ice crystals. Carbon dioxide has a different behavior when it freezes, and since it freezes at a much lower freezing point I am guessing that it might even get a tiny fraction smaller in volume than it would if frozen by high pressure at 0C.
For the second question, I think most H contains 1 electron and 1 proton.
I think most He contains 2 protons and 2 neutrons, most Li contains 3 protons and 4 neutrons. I think we know this from a combination of reasoning with the data from experiments. But I am open to the idea that maybe words could not really describe what really exists. I think that we can use the ideas we have (right or wrong) to make airplanes fly, to make buildings tall, and make Bill Gates wealthy.

Last edited:
Fun Value said:
and a mole or 6.02x10^23 molecules of H2O gas also occupies 22.4liters

Water is not a gas at STP, so it doesn't occupy 22.4L. More like 18 mL.

Also note that STP is ambiguous - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Temperature_and_Pressure

Number of protons/neutrons in nucleons have been determined experimentally.

what experiment was made to know the number of electrons exactly?

thank you

Photoelectron spectroscopy has been used to experimentally probe the electron configurations of the elements. I would suspect that the very fleeting heavy elements at the very edge of the known periodic table have probably not been quite as extensively studied as their lighter cousins, of course.

Why are we sure that equal volumes of different gases at the same condition (pressure, temperature etc) contain exactly the same number of particles? How is it possible to prove this?
thank you!

scientifico said:
Why are we sure that equal volumes of different gases at the same condition (pressure, temperature etc) contain exactly the same number of particles? How is it possible to prove this?

Stoichiometry (for example).

scientifico said:
thank you!

There are no mathematical derivations for it ! The only thing you can do it is logically and theoretically think about it but it will not lead you to its proof. This is because it has been proved experimentally.

Truly said : Chemistry is based on observations.

Even Avogadro's constant is derived experimentally.
6.023 x 1023

1. How many protons, neutrons, and electrons are in an atom?

An atom's composition is determined by its atomic number, which is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus. The number of neutrons can vary, but it is usually close to the number of protons. The number of electrons is also equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom. For example, a carbon atom has 6 protons, 6 neutrons, and 6 electrons.

2. Why are protons, neutrons, and electrons important in an atom?

Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus of an atom, which contains most of its mass. Electrons are important because they determine the chemical properties of an atom and are involved in chemical reactions.

3. How do you determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

The atomic number, located on the periodic table, tells you the number of protons in an atom. To find the number of neutrons, you can subtract the atomic number from the mass number (located on the periodic table as well). The number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom.

4. Can the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons change in an atom?

The number of protons in an atom cannot change, as it would change the element itself. However, the number of neutrons can vary, resulting in different isotopes of the same element. Electrons can also be gained or lost, resulting in ions.

5. What are valence electrons and why are they important in chemical bonding?

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom. They are important in chemical bonding because they determine an element's reactivity and how it will bond with other elements to form compounds.