Resistor values for a series circuit

In summary, in order to safely operate a bulb or LED with a voltage source of 12V, a resistor must be connected in series to limit the current flow and reduce the voltage to the required 3V. This can be calculated by subtracting the forward voltage drop of the LED from the source voltage and using Ohm's law to determine the resistance needed. For multiple LEDs, the forward voltage drops can be added together before calculating the resistor value. This method can be used by engineers without relying on external resources. However, it is important to note that a datasheet or assumptions about the LED's forward voltage drop are necessary for accurate calculations.
roam
Suppose we have a bulb or a forward-biased LED (or any other component) which needs no more than say 3 V across it to operate. And we want to connect it in series with a voltage source of say 12 V, and a resistor. So without this resistor, the LED would quickly burn out and be destroyed.

I've edited a diagram to illustrate the situation:

[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6515/circt2.jpg

How can we calculate the value of this resistor in series with the LED and the battery, that limits the current flow through the LED to a safe value, and reduce the 12 V to 3 V? I know that there many websites and softwares that can calculate the value of the resistor, but I just want to know how engineers would do the calculation without using them. Is there a quick method or a formula?

And what if there are two (or more) LEDs instead of just one?

I couldn't find any methods for this in my physics textbook so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For an LED, take the forward voltage drop rating (Vf) from the datasheet.
Add all of those forward voltage drops together for multiple LEDs. If you don't have a datasheet, you can make assumptions (~2V for red, etc.)
Subtract that number from your source voltage. This give the voltage drop across the resistor.

Then it becomes a simple Ohm's law calculation (V=IR) - if you know the current you want to use, then you need to solve for the resistance - Take the voltage across the resistor and divide by the desired current to get the resistor value.

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing in a single path. In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit and the voltage is divided among the components.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of a series circuit?

The total resistance of a series circuit can be calculated by adding together the individual resistances of each component. This can be represented by the formula RTotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the resistances of each component in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using resistors in a series circuit?

Resistors are used in a series circuit to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit. They are also used to divide the voltage and regulate the amount of energy that is dissipated by the circuit.

4. How do I choose the appropriate resistor values for a series circuit?

The appropriate resistor values for a series circuit can be determined by calculating the total resistance of the circuit and then selecting resistors with values that are close to that total resistance. It is important to choose resistors with values that are equal to or greater than the calculated total resistance to ensure the circuit functions properly.

5. Can I mix and match different resistor values in a series circuit?

Yes, it is possible to mix and match different resistor values in a series circuit. However, it is important to note that this may affect the total resistance and the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It is recommended to use resistors with similar values to avoid any potential issues.