Velocity of proton following a helical path? need a bit of help

In summary, a proton with an initial velocity of (4.0 + 3.0 + 3.0)(105 m/s) enters a magnetic field of 0.62 T and follows a helical path with a velocity of 3e5 m/s along the Z-axis. The circular motion in the XY-plane has a speed of 5e5 m/s and a calculated radius of 0.008065 m, using the formula R = mv/qB. However, using the more accurate mass of a proton, the radius should be recalculated for a more precise answer.
yjk91
velocity of proton following a helical path?? need a bit of help

Homework Statement

A proton with an initial velocity given by (4.0 + 3.0 + 3.0)(105 m/s) enters a magnetic field given by (0.62 T). Describe the motion of the proton.

The proton will follow a helical path with a velocity of 3e5 m/s along the Z -axis, with the circular motion in the XY -plane having a speed of ?? and radius of ??

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got the velocity of the proton along Z axis but I'm not sure how to get the XY axis

my idea was that i could just square x and y velocity then rad it but it didn't work

and would i be able to get the Radius by using this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the direction of the magnetic field?
Are you sure you copied the velocity along z correctly? It can be 305 m/s, but 3e5 is impossible if it means 300000 m/s.

Do you know the formula for the Lorentz force, the magnetic field exerts on a moving charged particle?

ehild

yeah it's to the z

no we have not learned the Lorentz force yet
can't you find the velocity the ciruclar motion by doing x^2 + y^2 and rad it
but it's not the answer

oh nvm it is haha

qvB = mv^2/R or R = mv/qB.

i'm using this to find the R

so 1.6*10^-27 * 5 * 10^5 / (1.6*10^-19 * 0.62 * .62T)

and i got 0.008065 m and it's not the answer

5 * 10^5 is the velocity on the xand y axis
i tried using the z axis but that's not even close

help?

What is what? does 105 mean 105 m/s? And 3e5 means 3˙105 m/s?
So 5˙105 m/s is the speed of the proton in the x,y plane.
The mass of proton is

[itex]m_{p}\ =\ 1.673\ \times\ 10^{-27}\ kg[/itex]

Using 1.6 instead of 1.67 is bad.

The charge is
[itex]e\ =\ 1.602\ \times\ 10^{-19}\ C[/itex]

It does not hurt using more then necessary significant digits during calculations.
Do the calculation again, with the more accurate proton mass. It should be all right.

ehild

oh thanks
i'll remember

What is the velocity of a proton following a helical path?

The velocity of a proton following a helical path is dependent on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the radius of the helix, and the mass of the proton. In general, the velocity will increase as the magnetic field strength increases and as the radius of the helix decreases.

How is the velocity of a proton following a helical path calculated?

The velocity of a proton following a helical path can be calculated using the formula: v = rB/2πm, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the helix, B is the magnetic field strength, and m is the mass of the proton. This formula is derived from the Lorentz force equation.

What are the units for the velocity of a proton following a helical path?

The units for the velocity of a proton following a helical path are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per second (km/s). It is important to note that the velocity can also be expressed in other units, such as miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s) depending on the specific application.

Can the velocity of a proton following a helical path change?

Yes, the velocity of a proton following a helical path can change. This can occur if there is a change in the magnetic field strength or if the proton travels to a different region with a different magnetic field. Additionally, the velocity can also change if the proton experiences a force from another particle or object.

What is the significance of studying the velocity of a proton following a helical path?

Studying the velocity of a proton following a helical path is important in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields and can be used in various applications, such as medical imaging and particle accelerators. It also contributes to our overall understanding of fundamental physical principles and can lead to advancements in technology.