Is Marilyn Vos Savant wrong on this probability question?

• Thread starter CantorSet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Hence, in summary, Marilyn explains that in theory, both results are equally likely as each number (1 through 6) has an equal chance of appearing when rolling a die. However, in this specific scenario where one result is already known, the mixed result is more likely to have occurred due to the concept of entropy, which suggests that a system with high entropy is more likely to produce a result that aligns with its theoretical entropy. Therefore, the series of mixed numbers (b) is more likely to be the result of the die roll.
Ah, she still doesn't get it. And I doubt she will, because she's in that situation where she has a correct conclusion with a terrible argument.

Why do I say she has the right answer? Because I have incredibly high prior odds on her choosing 11111111111111111111 as the fake sequence -- much less than the odds on her choosing 44132411666623551133 -- and so it's far more likely that 11111111111111111111 is the fake.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one of the posters there has a good point: Marilyn does not make any testable claims, nor calculations, which makes it (unnecessarily) hard to test her arguments.

Bacle2 said:
I think one of the posters there has a good point: Marilyn does not make any testable claims, nor calculations, which makes it (unnecessarily) hard to test her arguments.

Yes. I suppose we can all agree on that. If she would describe an experiment unambiguously, then it would be easily resolved what the correct answer was.

"Yes. I suppose we can all agree on that. If she would describe an experiment unambiguously, then it would be easily resolved what the correct answer was."

I think that depends on whether you are Bayesian or Frequentist. Maybe someone knows more about this.

Hurkyl said:
Ah, she still doesn't get it. And I doubt she will, because she's in that situation where she has a correct conclusion with a terrible argument.

Why do I say she has the right answer? Because I have incredibly high prior odds on her choosing 11111111111111111111 as the fake sequence -- much less than the odds on her choosing 44132411666623551133 -- and so it's far more likely that 11111111111111111111 is the fake.

Absolutely agree with your statement: The conclusion makes sense under one interpretation (which I have been debating for a while and finally clarified eventually), but her argument just doesn't make sense to me about the past and future.

Remember folks, this is what you get when debates continue and consume people when the issue at hand is vaguely described or not really described at all!

<h2>1. What is the probability question that Marilyn Vos Savant is wrong about?</h2><p>The probability question that Marilyn Vos Savant is wrong about is known as the Monty Hall problem. It involves a game show where a contestant is given the option to switch their chosen door after one of the remaining doors is revealed to be empty.</p><h2>2. Is Marilyn Vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem incorrect?</h2><p>Many experts and mathematicians have argued that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem is incorrect. However, there is still debate and controversy surrounding this question, and some believe that her answer is indeed correct.</p><h2>3. What is the correct answer to the Monty Hall problem?</h2><p>The correct answer to the Monty Hall problem is to switch doors. This is because by switching, the contestant's chances of winning increase from 1/3 to 2/3. This can be proven through mathematical calculations and simulations.</p><h2>4. Why do some people believe that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer is incorrect?</h2><p>Some people believe that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer is incorrect because it goes against our intuition and seems counterintuitive. Many people have a hard time accepting that switching doors would increase their chances of winning, and thus, they believe her answer is wrong.</p><h2>5. Is there a definitive answer to the Monty Hall problem?</h2><p>While the majority of mathematicians and experts agree that the correct answer to the Monty Hall problem is to switch doors, there is still some debate and controversy surrounding this question. Ultimately, the answer may depend on how the question is interpreted and the assumptions made. Therefore, there is no definitive answer to this problem.</p>

1. What is the probability question that Marilyn Vos Savant is wrong about?

The probability question that Marilyn Vos Savant is wrong about is known as the Monty Hall problem. It involves a game show where a contestant is given the option to switch their chosen door after one of the remaining doors is revealed to be empty.

2. Is Marilyn Vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem incorrect?

Many experts and mathematicians have argued that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem is incorrect. However, there is still debate and controversy surrounding this question, and some believe that her answer is indeed correct.

3. What is the correct answer to the Monty Hall problem?

The correct answer to the Monty Hall problem is to switch doors. This is because by switching, the contestant's chances of winning increase from 1/3 to 2/3. This can be proven through mathematical calculations and simulations.

4. Why do some people believe that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer is incorrect?

Some people believe that Marilyn Vos Savant's answer is incorrect because it goes against our intuition and seems counterintuitive. Many people have a hard time accepting that switching doors would increase their chances of winning, and thus, they believe her answer is wrong.

5. Is there a definitive answer to the Monty Hall problem?

While the majority of mathematicians and experts agree that the correct answer to the Monty Hall problem is to switch doors, there is still some debate and controversy surrounding this question. Ultimately, the answer may depend on how the question is interpreted and the assumptions made. Therefore, there is no definitive answer to this problem.