Proving Inequality: Solving Im(z) and Re(z) with Triangle Inequality

• Thread starter Cosmossos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses proving an inequality involving y=im(z) and x=Re(z). The reverse triangle inequality is suggested as a method and the poster is asked to show what they have tried and where they got stuck. The poster then shares their approach using the absolute value of sin z and asks for confirmation of its correctness. The responder points out flaws in the approach and suggests breaking the problem into two parts, proving \left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} and \left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{
Cosmossos
Hello
I need to prove this inequality:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2047/unledwp.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
where y=im(z) ,x=Re(z).

I used the triangle inequality but I got stuck.
Can someone show me how to do it? specially the left side of the inequality.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you have tried, and where you got stuck.

That way it will be easier for use to give the appropriate help.

Don't forget about the reverse triangle inequality: |x - y| >= ||x| - |y||

It will be easier to break this into two problems. First prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2}[/itex] , then prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{2}[/itex].

Also, use [itex] \left| sin z \right| = \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} [/itex] .

sir_manning said:
It will be easier to break this into two problems. First prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2}[/itex] , then prove that [itex]\left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{2}[/itex].

Also, use [itex] \left| sin z \right| = \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} [/itex] .

That's what i did. can you please look at my answer? isn't it correct?
thank you.

Sorry, I see that you did write [itex] \left| sin z \right| = \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} [/itex]. However, I don't understand how you came up with your answer: where did the absolute value signs in [itex] \left| \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} \right| [/itex] emerge from? You can't just insert them. And how did you re-arrange the inequality? Was there a typo in your original statement of the problem? In any case, your answer doesn't prove the inequality, because I cannot see its validity just by looking at it. With these types of problems, you really need to break it down to something like [itex] -e^{-y} \leq e^{-y} \; \Rightarrow \; -1 \leq 1 [/itex], which we can all agree is true. Also, in proofs you *need* to show your steps, and you always should here anyways so we can help you out.

Alright, let's try doing this one part at a time. First, prove that:

[itex] \left| sin z \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} [/itex], or

[itex] \left| \frac{e^{i(x+iy)} - e^{-i(x+iy)}}{2i} \right| \leq \frac{e^{y} + e^{-y}}{2} [/itex]. Cancel the 2's, multiply by i/i and rearrange exponentials on the left,

[itex] \left| -i e^{ix} e^{-y} + i e^{-ix} e^y \right| \leq e^{y} + e^{-y} [/itex] ...Now try applying the triangle inequality to this. After proving this, a similar approach is used for [itex] \left| sin z \right| \geq \frac{e^{\left| y \right|} + e^{- \left| y \right|}}{2} [/itex]

Last edited:

1. How do I prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that one side of the inequality is always greater than or equal to the other side. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, or using mathematical theorems.

2. What is the difference between proving an inequality and solving an inequality?

Proving an inequality involves showing that it is always true, while solving an inequality involves finding the specific values that satisfy the inequality. Proving an inequality is a more general concept, while solving an inequality is a more specific task.

3. Can I use examples to prove an inequality?

Yes, using examples can be a helpful way to prove an inequality, especially if you are having trouble with the algebraic manipulation or understanding the concept. However, it is important to note that examples alone may not be sufficient to prove an inequality in all cases.

4. Do I need to consider any special cases when proving an inequality?

Yes, it is important to consider special cases when proving an inequality. For example, if the inequality involves absolute value, you may need to consider both positive and negative values. It is also important to consider the domain of the variables involved in the inequality.

5. Can I use calculus to prove an inequality?

Yes, calculus can be used to prove an inequality, particularly if the inequality involves functions or derivatives. You can use techniques such as taking derivatives, finding critical points, and using the first or second derivative test to prove the inequality.