Dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel/sphere

In summary, the author is looking for a rotational viscous damper that acts as a proportional (or related to) the rotational velocity of the wheel. They found some relevant material on Hertz contact forces, but were not able to find what they were looking for in a good engineering library.
James_Frogan
Good afternoon,

I've tried to find a simplified model for the dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel, but have had very limited success. I'm looking for a force that is proportional (or related to) the rotational velocity of the wheel (rotational damping) because of the contact point of the wheel.

Would anyone be able to shed light on this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Spinnor,
I am aware of rolling resistance, but I believe that angular velocity of the wheel is a function of only the power required to overcome rolling resistance; whereas I am looking for a force (not power) that has velocity as a dependent. More specifically I am looking for a real-life force that acts as a rotational viscous damper, except that viscosity by air friction is not a consideration.

I had a look at Hertz contact forces but I can only see non-velocity dependent terms.

Found some stuff that might be relevant, do you have access to a good engineering library? The following book and ones like it should have what you need. Google let's me see several pages,

http://books.google.com/books?id=NS...tance of auto tire&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q&f=true

Found via Google book search,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=bks&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp

Go down 1/4 of the following page and see figures 4 and 5 along with their explanation, Rolling speed,

http://www.tut.fi/plastics/tyreschool/moduulit/moduuli_8/hypertext_1/3/3_3.html

Good luck!

Hello,

I can provide some insight into the dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel or sphere. First, it is important to understand that there are two main types of forces involved in this scenario: contact forces and non-contact forces.

Contact forces include the normal force, which is the force exerted by the ground on the wheel to support its weight, and the frictional force, which opposes the motion of the wheel and is responsible for the wheel's ability to roll without slipping. These forces are dependent on the properties of the surface and the wheel, such as the coefficient of friction and the shape of the wheel.

Non-contact forces include gravity, which pulls the wheel towards the ground, and air resistance, which acts against the motion of the wheel. These forces are not directly related to the rotational velocity of the wheel, but can affect it indirectly by changing the overall motion of the wheel.

In terms of rotational damping, this is typically caused by friction between the wheel and its axle or bearings. This friction can decrease the rotational velocity of the wheel over time, leading to a decrease in the wheel's overall speed.

I hope this helps to shed some light on the dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can provide more specific information.

1. How do dynamic forces affect the motion of a rolling wheel/sphere?

Dynamic forces, such as friction and air resistance, can either accelerate or decelerate the motion of a rolling wheel/sphere depending on their direction and magnitude. These forces can also cause the wheel/sphere to change direction or spin.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic forces on a rolling wheel/sphere?

Static forces are those that do not change with respect to time and do not affect the motion of a rolling wheel/sphere. Dynamic forces, on the other hand, are constantly changing and can either assist or hinder the motion of the wheel/sphere.

3. How do the properties of the wheel/sphere affect the dynamic forces acting on it?

The properties of the wheel/sphere, such as its mass, shape, and surface texture, can greatly impact the dynamic forces acting on it. For example, a heavier wheel/sphere may experience more friction and air resistance than a lighter one.

4. How can we calculate the dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel/sphere?

There are various equations and mathematical models that can be used to calculate the dynamic forces acting on a rolling wheel/sphere. These include the equations for friction, air resistance, and rotational motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding dynamic forces on rolling wheels/spheres?

Understanding dynamic forces on rolling wheels/spheres is crucial in many engineering and design applications, such as in the development of vehicles, machinery, and sports equipment. It also helps us to predict and improve the performance of these objects in various environments.