Does a current instantaneously disappear?

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of current in a simple circuit with a resistor, EMF source, and switch. The question is whether the current instantly stops when the switch is opened or if there is a small amount of time for the current to dissipate due to the finite time it takes for the EMF to propagate. It is mentioned that if the circuit had zero inductance, the current would vanish instantly, but because all real circuits have some inductance, the current will decay with a time constant of L/R. The conversation concludes that in a circuit with zero inductance, the current will immediately stop after the switch is opened.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hi all. I was working on a circuit question with inductors and I then had a question. Let's say we have a simple circuit with only a resistor, an emf source and a switch. We first close the switch and the current goes though. Now after some time we open the switch.

My question is: Just after we open the switch does the current instantly go to zero? Or will the resistor have a current running through it at that instant and then decay?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the EMF takes a finite time to propagate, so when you open the switch not only is there a small amount of time that it takes for the switch to completely cut the voltage and current, the rest of the circuit should take a small amount of time to dissipate the remaining current.

If the inductance in the circuit were truly zero, the current would vanish instantly. However, all real circuits have some inductance, so the current will decay with a time constant given by L/R.

Alright, so assuming the circuit has zero inductance (which is what I think my physics book is doing) then the current will immediately stop after the switch is opened. Thanks.

for your question. The current in a circuit does not instantaneously disappear when a switch is opened. When the switch is closed, the current flows through the circuit due to the flow of electrons. However, when the switch is opened, the flow of electrons is suddenly interrupted, but the current does not immediately drop to zero. This is because of the inductance in the circuit, which resists any change in current. As a result, the current will continue to flow for a brief moment before eventually decaying to zero. This process is known as inductive kickback. The amount of time it takes for the current to reach zero depends on the inductance of the circuit and the resistance of the components. Therefore, the current does not disappear instantaneously but rather decays over a short period of time. I hope this helps clarify your question.

1. Does a current instantaneously disappear?

No, a current does not instantaneously disappear. It takes time for a current to dissipate, as it depends on the resistance of the circuit and the type of conductor being used.

2. What causes a current to disappear?

A current can disappear due to a variety of factors, such as a circuit being turned off, a break in the circuit, or the depletion of a power source.

3. Can a current disappear on its own?

No, a current cannot disappear on its own. It always requires an external force or event to cause the current to dissipate.

4. Is there a difference between a current disappearing and a current turning off?

Yes, there is a difference between a current disappearing and a current turning off. A current disappearing refers to the complete dissipation of the flow of electrons, while a current turning off refers to the intentional interruption of the current flow.

5. How long does it take for a current to disappear?

The time it takes for a current to disappear depends on the specific circuit and components involved. It could be a matter of milliseconds or it could take several seconds.