Precise Definition of a Limit

In summary, to find the value of g that satisfies the given equation, we can use the inequality |a|<2|x| and choose a value of g that satisfies it. This ensures that the difference between x and a will not be too big and allows us to solve for g in a simpler manner.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How do I find g?

It's so confusing.

I'm trying to learn this on my own, so bare with me.

I'm going with an example I know the answer to, and maybe someone can work with me here. I'll ask questions through the solution.

We will do x^3 since that is complicated enough, but I understand the steps, just not the logic to moving on to the next step.

[tex]|x^3-a^3|<e[/tex]
[tex]0<|x-a|<g[/tex]

Find a value for g that satisfies the above.

[tex]|x^3-a^3|=|x-a||x^2+ax+a^2|[/tex]
[tex]|x^2+ax+a^2|<=|x|^2+|a||x|+|a|^2[/tex]

Note: [tex]|x|-|a|<=|x-a|<1[/tex]
If you don't understand why one is chosen maybe this isn't for you. In case you forgot, we take 1 because that guarantees that the difference won't be too big.

[tex]|x|<1+|a|[/tex]

Take the above and you get...

[tex](1+|a|)^2+|a|(1+|a|)+|a|^2

WARNING: This is in the works. I will be back to complete it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be better using that |a|< |x| +g

or better yet, assuming that g is chosen such that |a|<2|x|, since if some g works, a smaller g has to work too, so there's no harm in placing a maximal size on g that helps eliminate a (assuming x is not zero. if x is zero it's quite easy)

Last edited:

The precise definition of a limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, it determines what value a function is approaching as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value. To find the limit, we use a specific notation: lim f(x) = L as x approaches a, which means that the limit of f(x) is L as x gets closer and closer to a.

To find g in the given problem, we need to find a value for g that satisfies the inequalities |x^3-a^3|<e and 0<|x-a|<g. This means that the difference between x^3 and a^3 must be smaller than e, and the difference between x and a must be smaller than g.

To solve for g, we can start by simplifying the expression |x^3-a^3|. Using the formula for the difference of cubes, we can rewrite it as |x-a||x^2+ax+a^2|. Now, we want to make this expression smaller than e, so we can set up the inequality |x^2+ax+a^2|<=e.

Next, we can use the triangle inequality to simplify the expression further. This states that |x+y|<=|x|+|y| for any numbers x and y. In our case, we can rewrite |x^2+ax+a^2| as |x|^2+|a||x|+|a|^2.

Now, we can use the given inequality 0<|x-a|<g to solve for g. We know that |x|-|a|<=|x-a|<1, so we can substitute |x|-|a| for |x-a| in the inequality |x|^2+|a||x|+|a|^2<=e. This gives us (|x|-|a|)^2+|a|(|x|-|a|)+|a|^2<=e.

To make this expression even smaller, we can choose a value for |x| that is close to |a|. In fact, if we choose |x|<1+|a|, we can guarantee that the expression will be smaller than e. This is because (1+|a|)^2+|a|(1+|a|)+|a|^2 is

What is the definition of a limit?

The precise definition of a limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) as x approaches a.

How is the concept of a limit related to continuity?

A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Therefore, the concept of a limit is closely related to continuity.

Why is it important to have a precise definition of a limit?

A precise definition of a limit allows us to accurately and rigorously analyze the behavior of functions near specific values. It also forms the basis for many important concepts in calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.

What are the key components of the precise definition of a limit?

The key components of the precise definition of a limit include the value that the function approaches, the specific value that the input approaches, and the notion of approaching from both sides (left and right) of the input value.

What are some common misconceptions about the precise definition of a limit?

One common misconception is that the limit of a function at a point is equal to the value of the function at that point. However, this is not always true. Another misconception is that the limit of a function is always equal to the value of the function at infinity, which is also not always the case.