Power and maximum power problem

In summary, a loaded ore car with a mass of 950kg is pulled up a mine shaft by a cable connected to a winch. The car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.2m/s in 12 seconds, continuing at constant speed. The power needed for the winch motor to provide when the car is moving at constant speed is 10.2kW. To find the maximum power needed, the equation T - mgsin(30) = ma must be used, taking into account the tension in the cable and the weight of the car. This results in a maximum power of 10,600W. Free body diagrams are important in solving force-related physics problems.
abot
A loaded ore car has a mass of 950kg and rolls on rails with negligible friction. It starts from rest and is pulled up a mine shaft by a cable connected to a winch. The shaft is inclined at 30 degrees above the horizontal. the car accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.2m/s in 12 sec and continues at constant speed. (a) what power must the winch motor proide when the car is moving at constant speed ? (b)what maximum power must the winch motor provide?

I know (A) is...
P= F*V
P=mgsin30 * V
P=10.2Kw
Know how do you do (b) i think its similar to (a) i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
I messed up on the last line... i meant i don't know how to do (b) but i think its like (a)
can anyone shed some light

ohhhh man! does anyone have any idea? haha

if its asking for the maximum power what would change. the mass is the same so is g the velocity I am not sure about but what would it change to?? the sin I am certain would stay the same aswell. I don't really understand the difference between part a and b

Last edited:
F = ma

Thus, when the car is accelerating, the force acting on the car not only must overcome the force of gravity, but it also must accelerate the car.

what? well if you find the F that way then...
F=ma (1st i need acceleration...(2.20m/s / 12sec)= .183m/s^2
F=950kg*.183m/s^2 F=174N
So then...
P=FV
P=174sin30*2.2 P=191W

but the answer is P=10600W

Watch what you do...
it is not F=ma
it is Sum(F) = ma

YOu have the cable pulling in one direction and the weight coming down in another...

thuse your eq is:

T - mgsin(30) = ma

Where T is the tension and thus the force in the cable

Make sure you look at the free body diagram :)

yeah...sorry 'bout that..I left out the sumation part... but basically follow Spectre5's advice...free body diagrams are essential to solving most force related Physics problems

1. What is the definition of power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is a measure of how quickly a task can be completed.

2. How is power calculated?

Power is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it took to do the work. The unit of power is watts (W) in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the difference between power and maximum power?

Power refers to the overall rate at which work is done, while maximum power specifically refers to the highest level of power that can be sustained for a given period of time.

4. How is maximum power determined?

Maximum power is determined through various performance tests, such as a maximum power output test on a stationary bike or a one-rep max test in weightlifting. It can also be estimated based on an individual's physical characteristics and training history.

5. Why is understanding power and maximum power important?

Understanding power and maximum power is important for athletes and trainers to optimize training programs and improve performance. It can also help individuals track progress and set realistic goals. In addition, power is a key factor in many real-world applications, such as energy production and transportation.