Can someone name this method testing DE's to be homogeneous

In summary, the conversation discusses the learning of how to solve homogeneous differential equations through YouTube videos, which presented a problem during a test. The speaker wants to find documentation to challenge their professor's grading, but only has the videos as a reference. They also mention a specific test used in the videos that changes the DE to terms of F(x, y). The usual definition of "homogeneous" for first order equations is explained as f(ax, ay) = f(x, y). By defining u = y/x, the speaker shows how this definition can be rewritten as f(x, y) = F(y/x), where F(u) is defined as f(1, u).
tempneff
[PLAIN]http://www.tempneff.com/jailtime/differential%20equations/HDE.PNG

I learned how to solve homogeneous DE's from youtube videos. This presented a problem when during my last test, a question stated that i should show a DE to be homogeneous. The way I learned was different then the rest of the class and I missed the points. But it works. I want to find some documentation so that I may challenge my professors grading. But...I don't have anything other than these videos.

http://www.wikihow.com/Solve-Differential-Equations

Specifically, i want to identify the test used in these videos that changes the DE to terms of F(x\y).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The usual definition of "homogeneous" (for first order equations) dy/dx= f(x,y) is that we must have f(ax, ay)= f(x, y)- that is any number multiplied by both x and y cancels.
If we define u= y/x, we have y= xu so f(x, y)= f(x, ux) and now we can think of x as the number multiplying 1 and u: f(x, y)= f(x, ux)= f(1, u). And since "1" is a constant, we can say f(x, y)= f(1, u)= F(u)= F(y/x) where "F(u)" is defined as f(1, u).

1. What is the purpose of testing DE's for homogeneity?

The purpose of testing DE's (differential equations) for homogeneity is to determine if the equation is invariant under a scale transformation of its independent and dependent variables. In other words, if the equation remains unchanged when all of its variables are multiplied by a constant factor, then it is considered to be homogeneous.

2. How is homogeneity tested in DE's?

To test for homogeneity in DE's, one can use the method of substitution. This involves substituting a new variable (usually a power of the original variables) into the equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. If the equation remains unchanged, then it is homogeneous.

3. What is the importance of homogeneity in DE's?

Homogeneity is important in DE's because it allows for simpler and more efficient solutions. If an equation is homogeneous, it can be solved using the method of separation of variables, which is a common and straightforward approach in solving DE's.

4. Can a DE be homogeneous and non-homogeneous at the same time?

No, a DE cannot be both homogeneous and non-homogeneous at the same time. It is either one or the other. However, a non-homogeneous equation can sometimes be transformed into a homogeneous one by using a suitable change of variables.

5. Are there any real-world applications of testing DE's for homogeneity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of testing DE's for homogeneity. Some examples include modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer. In these cases, homogeneity allows for simpler and more accurate models to be developed, making it a valuable tool in various scientific fields.