A bit of trouble with Galois groups

In summary, the Galois group of F=Q(sqrt2,3i) is {id, tau, sigma, gamma}, where id is the identity, tau maps sqrt2 to -sqrt2 and leaves 3i alone, sigma leaves sqrt2 alone and maps 3i to -3i, and gamma maps sqrt2 to -sqrt2 and 3i to -3i. The fixed fields of the subgroups are Q(3i) for H, Q(sqrt2) for J, and Q for K. However, this contradicts the fact that F/Q is Galois, so something must be wrong in the previous calculations.
Euclid
Is the Galois group of F=Q(sqrt2,3i) the maps {id, tau , sigma, gamma}, where
(1) id is the identity
(2) tau maps sqrt2 to -sqrt2 and leave 3i alone
(3) sigma leaves sqrt2 alone and maps 3i to -3i
(4) gamma maps sqrt2 to -sqrt2 and 3i to -3i ?
If so, the what are the fixed fields of the subgroups?
If I'm not mistaken the (proper nontrivial) subgroups are H={id, tau}, J={id, sigma}, K={id, gamma}. It appears that the fixed field of H is Q(3i) and the fixed field of J is Q(sqrt2). But it also appears that the fixed field of K is just Q, which is also the fixed field of Gal(F/Q). But F/Q is Galois since F is the splitting field of a seperable polynomial, so we can't have two distinct groups associated to the same intermediate field.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing down an arbitrary element of F: it would be a Q-linear combination of 4 elements:

1, 3i, sqrt2, 3isqrt2

So, apply K to this arbitrary element and see if that gets you anywhere...

It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things to clarify. First, the Galois group of F=Q(sqrt2,3i) is not just the maps {id, tau, sigma, gamma}, but rather the group generated by these maps. This means that the group also includes compositions of these maps and their inverses. So the Galois group is actually a larger group than just those four maps.

Next, the fixed field of a subgroup is the field that is fixed by all the elements in that subgroup. So for example, the fixed field of H={id, tau} would be the field that is fixed by both the identity and tau. In this case, that would be the field Q(3i) since both id and tau leave 3i unchanged. Similarly, the fixed field of J={id, sigma} would be Q(sqrt2) since both id and sigma leave sqrt2 unchanged.

However, the fixed field of K={id, gamma} is not just Q, but rather the field Q(sqrt2,3i) itself. This is because both id and gamma leave both sqrt2 and 3i unchanged, so the fixed field of K must contain both sqrt2 and 3i. It is not just Q because Q does not contain 3i.

In general, the fixed field of a subgroup will be the smallest field that contains all the elements that are fixed by that subgroup. This can sometimes be a larger field than expected, as in the case of K={id, gamma}.

So to summarize, the Galois group of F=Q(sqrt2,3i) is a larger group than just the four maps mentioned, and the fixed fields of the subgroups are Q(3i), Q(sqrt2), and Q(sqrt2,3i) respectively. This does not contradict the fact that F/Q is Galois, as the Galois group is generated by all possible automorphisms, not just the four mentioned.

1. What are Galois groups?

Galois groups are mathematical structures that are used to study the symmetries of algebraic equations. They were named after the French mathematician Évariste Galois, who first discovered them in the early 19th century.

2. How are Galois groups used in mathematics?

Galois groups are used to study the solutions of algebraic equations, particularly polynomial equations. They can help determine whether an equation has solutions that can be expressed using radicals, and can also provide insight into the structure and properties of the solutions.

3. What is the significance of Galois groups?

The study of Galois groups has had a major impact on various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and abstract algebra. They have also been used to solve long-standing mathematical problems, such as the impossibility of trisecting an angle using a compass and straightedge.

4. Are there any practical applications of Galois groups?

While Galois groups are primarily used in theoretical mathematics, they have also found practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. They have been used to develop secure encryption methods and error-correcting codes for data transmission.

5. Are there any current research developments related to Galois groups?

Yes, there is ongoing research in the study of Galois groups, particularly in their connections to other areas of mathematics such as representation theory and homological algebra. There is also ongoing work in applying Galois groups to problems in physics and computer science.