Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene

In summary, the best way to get started with automating the creation of a tight binding Hamiltonian matrix for armchair cut graphene is to look into existing implementations and modify them to suit your needs. Some helpful resources include the SourceForge project "Graphene-Tight-Binding," the paper "Tight-Binding Model for Graphene: A First Principles Study," and the paper "Band Structure and Electronic Properties of Armchair Graphene Nanoribbons." With some research and adaptation, you should be able to use your preferred coding language, whether it be Maple, MATLAB, or something else, to generate your own Hamiltonian matrix.
Lockoman
Hello, I am trying to write a program that will automate the creation of a tight binding Hamiltonian matrix for armchair cut graphene. However, I have almost no experience coding and would need some help to get started.

This would be assuming that the energy between nearest neighbor carbon atoms is t and everything else zero.

The only real info I have gathered myself is that for an armchair configuration, the number of atoms along a straight x or y line will be even. (as opposed to zigzag which would be odd).

Does anyone have any tips for me or examples of this being done?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I have a copy of Maple and would ideally like to use that as opposed to matlab, mathematica, etc

Physics news on Phys.org
. if possible.The best way to get started with this is to look into existing implementations of tight binding Hamiltonian matrixes for armchair cut graphene, as this will give you a good starting point. You can then modify the code to suit your needs. A few good resources to check out include: - The SourceForge project "Graphene-Tight-Binding" which provides a MATLAB implementation of a tight binding Hamiltonian matrix for armchair cut graphene. - The paper "Tight-Binding Model for Graphene: A First Principles Study" by M.-H. Bae et al. which provides a detailed description of the tight binding model and how it can be used to generate a Hamiltonian matrix for armchair cut graphene. - The paper "Band Structure and Electronic Properties of Armchair Graphene Nanoribbons" by L. K. Ang et al. which uses a tight binding approach to study the band structure of armchair cut graphene nanoribbons.Hopefully these resources will help you get started with creating your own Hamiltonian matrix for armchair cut graphene!

1. What is a Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene?

A Tight Binding Hamiltonian is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a material. In the case of graphene, it describes the motion of electrons within the material's lattice structure.

2. How is the Tight Binding Hamiltonian derived for Graphene?

The Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene is derived by considering the electronic structure of the material, taking into account the interactions between the carbon atoms in the lattice and the electrons moving within it.

3. What are the main features of the Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene?

The main features of the Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene include the presence of two energy bands, known as the valence and conduction bands, as well as the presence of Dirac points, where the energy bands touch and form a cone-like shape.

4. How is the Tight Binding Hamiltonian used in graphene research?

The Tight Binding Hamiltonian is used in graphene research to understand the electronic properties of the material, such as its energy band structure and the behavior of electrons in different environments. It is also used to model the behavior of graphene in electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene?

Yes, there are limitations to the Tight Binding Hamiltonian for Graphene. It is a simplified model and does not take into account all of the complexities of the material, such as electron-electron interactions and temperature effects. It also does not account for defects or impurities in the graphene lattice.