Determine whether each circuit element is a source or a resistor

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with three independent sources and five resistors. The task is to determine which elements are sources and which are resistors, and to find the value of resistance for each resistor. The key to solving for the sources is to identify elements that can increase potential in the direction of current flow, while resistors always show a potential drop in the direction of current flow. The final circuit should be checked by solving for the currents.
sporus

Homework Statement

In the circuit as shown in Figure 4, there are three independent sources and
five ordinary resistors.
(a) Determine which of the circuit elements are sources and which are
resistors?
(b) Determine the value of the resistance for each of the resistors.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5295/unledvhg.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since every element can be reduced to an equivalent resistance, voltage, and branch current, it is impossible to tell whether any given element is a source or a resistor.

My answer is wrong, and I couldn't find any similar questions or examples in my textbook to reference. The professor did not address this in class and I do not know where to start.

EDIT: I only need help with part a. I did part b with no problem of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Only sources can increase potential in the direction of current flow. Resistors always show a potential drop in the direction of current flow.

Ah, thanks. That makes a lot of sense. So h, c and e are sources, and the rest are resistors?

Yes. Check your results by solving for the currents in your finished circuit.

Thanks again. Wish there was a kudos button :)

:smile: You're quite welcome!

1. What is the difference between a source and a resistor in a circuit?

A source is a component that provides energy to the circuit, while a resistor is a component that resists the flow of current.

2. How can I determine whether a circuit element is a source or a resistor?

You can determine this by looking at the symbol for the circuit element. A source is typically represented by a battery or voltage source symbol, while a resistor is represented by a zigzag line.

3. Can a circuit element be both a source and a resistor?

No, a circuit element can only be one or the other. However, some components, such as transistors, can act as both a source and a resistor depending on their configuration in the circuit.

4. How do sources and resistors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Sources provide energy to the circuit, which creates a potential difference that causes current to flow. Resistors, on the other hand, resist the flow of current, causing a drop in voltage and reducing the amount of current that can pass through.

5. Is there a limit to how many sources and resistors can be in a circuit?

No, there is no limit to the number of sources and resistors that can be in a circuit. However, the more components that are added, the more complex the circuit becomes, which can make it more difficult to analyze and troubleshoot.