What is the relationship between area on a velocity / time graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the area formula for momentum and the slope formula for acceleration in different types of graphs. It is mentioned that the area in a V/t graph gives the answer in meters, while the slope in an F/t graph gives the answer in kgm/s. The significance of the area in a V/t graph is the total displacement from the start point after time t, while the slope in an F/t graph is the momentum. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the expert for their answer and finding a solution to a more complex graph.
PotentialE
I know that when viewing a graph in which velocity is on the y-axis and time is on the axis, the acceleration is the slope of the line. When viewing a graph in which a force is on the y-axis and a time is on the x-axis, (particularly one in which the graphed line makes a triangle) the area is the momentum. Why is it that you use the area formula for momentum and slope formula for acceleration? what is the significance of the area in a v / t graph and the slope in a F / t graph?

I have found that applying the area formula to a V / t graph gets you an answer in meters, because (1/2)*(m/s)*(s/1) = (m/2)

but I cannot seem to find a scenario in which the area correlates to any part of the problem.

In an F/t graph, the units after doing the slope formula would be kgm/s, just like momentum, accept the area is the momentum- not the slope.

Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
PotentialE said:
I found that applying the area formula to a V / t graph gets you an answer in meters, because (1/2)*(m/s)*(s/1) = (m/2)

but I cannot seem to find a scenario in which the area correlates to any part of the problem.

That would be the total displacement from the start point after time t.

Thanks for your answer, that is indeed what I was considering because the units cancelled. the only thing that left a doubt in my mind was this more complex graph that I have in front of me that didn't match up with it, puzzling my physics teacher and myself. But I figured it out, thank you very much!

1. What is the meaning of the area under a velocity-time graph?

The area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement of an object. This means that the total distance traveled by the object can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the graph.

2. How is the relationship between area and velocity shown on a velocity-time graph?

The relationship between area and velocity on a velocity-time graph is that the area under the curve represents the change in velocity over a given time period. The steeper the slope of the curve, the greater the change in velocity and therefore, the larger the area under the curve.

3. How can area on a velocity-time graph be used to calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration using the area on a velocity-time graph, the average velocity over a given time period can be determined by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the curve. Once the average velocity is known, acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where v2 and v1 are the final and initial velocities, respectively, and t is the time interval.

4. Can the area on a velocity-time graph ever be negative?

No, the area under a velocity-time graph cannot be negative. This is because the area represents displacement, which is a distance and therefore, cannot have a negative value.

5. How is the concept of work related to the area on a velocity-time graph?

The concept of work is related to the area on a velocity-time graph because work is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves. The distance in this case can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the velocity-time graph.