Inner Product Space Homework: Is <f(t)|g(t)> an Inner Product?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a given set of functions with continuous derivatives forms an inner product space. The initial equation is provided and the first three conditions of linearity are proven to be satisfied. The conversation then focuses on the final condition, which involves the non-negative term <f(t)|f(t)>. It is concluded that since all terms are non-negative, this condition is met and the set of functions does form an inner product space.
NeedPhysHelp8

Homework Statement

Is the following an inner product space if the functions are real and their derivatives are continuous:

[tex] <f(t)|g(t)> = \int_0^1 f'(t)g'(t) + f(0)g(0) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I was able to prove that it does satisfy the first 3 conditions of linearity and that
[tex] <f(t)|g(t)> = <g(t)|f(t)> [/tex]
But I was struggling with the last condition that:
[tex] <f(t)|f(t)> \geq 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the following:
[tex] <f(t)|f(t)> = \int_0^1 [f'(t)]^2 + f(0)^2 [/tex]
Since this is square integrable, I figure that it must be greater than or equal to zero if the functions and their derivatives are continuous.
Am I right? It's the last term that's giving me some trouble.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NeedPhysHelp8 said:
I was able to get the following:
[tex] <f(t)|f(t)> = \int_0^1 [f'(t)]^2 + f(0)^2 [/tex]
Since this is square integrable, I figure that it must be greater than or equal to zero if the functions and their derivatives are continuous.
Am I right? It's the last term that's giving me some trouble.
Thanks!

Everything you have written down is non-negative. So, yes, you are correct.

1. What is an inner product space?

An inner product space is a mathematical concept that combines the notions of vector space and scalar product. It is a vector space equipped with a function that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as output, satisfying certain properties such as linearity and positive definiteness.

2. What is in the context of inner product spaces?

is known as the inner product of two functions f(t) and g(t) in an inner product space. It represents the dot product of the two functions, which is a measure of their similarity or correlation.

3. What are the properties of an inner product?

An inner product must satisfy the following properties:

4. How is an inner product used in practical applications?

An inner product is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. It allows us to measure the similarity or distance between two functions, which is useful in tasks such as signal processing, pattern recognition, and data compression.

5. Is always an inner product?

No, is not always an inner product. In order for it to be an inner product, it must satisfy the three properties mentioned above. If any of these properties are not satisfied, then cannot be considered as an inner product.