Astrobiochemistry: Detection of Amino acids and nucleotide bases

In summary, a fourth year space systems engineering student is working on an astrobiology mission to Titan, Saturn's sixth moon. The project includes a rover that will sample the hydrocarbon seas on the surface. The student is currently using a ninhydrin test for detecting alpha amino acids, but is looking for alternative methods that do not require liquid reagents and heavy equipment. One suggestion is Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS), which has been used in previous space missions and can detect a wide range of organic compounds. Another option is a modified version of Ultraviolet spectroscopy, which has been successful in detecting organic molecules in other astrobiological missions and can be easily miniaturized.
CJSGrailKnigh
So I'm working on a project for my fourth year class in Space Mission Design and Analysis (I'm a fourth year space systems engineering student). My project is an astrobiology mission to Titan, Saturn's sixth moon, which is only slightly smaller than Mars with a atmosphere of Nitrogen of comparable density and pressure to Earth. Part of my project is a rover that will be sampling the hydrocarbon seas on the surface.

My question is in regards to the detection of amino acids and nucleotide bases in the samples. Currently my method of detection is a ninhydrin test for the detection alpha amino acids, although I would prefer to not need liquid reagents and heavy test equipment as I have a limit of about 200kg for the entire rover and 3 other experiments, and a for the detection of the nucleotide bases I believe testing the absorbance of UV light will allow for a first order detection of nucleotide bases.

If anyone has other ideas on methodology I would greatly appreciate the input.

*In case people are curious the other experiments are soil samples with differential scanning calorimetry, radiation levels, and atmospheric pressure sensors.*

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A possible alternative to the Ninhydrin test is Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) which can detect a wide range of organic compounds including amino acids. GC-MS has been used in multiple space exploration missions such as the Viking Mars mission and the Stardust mission to comet Wild 2, and a simplified version can be miniaturized for use on a rover. The advantage of GC-MS is that it does not require liquid reagents and can detect many different kinds of molecules. For detecting nucleotide bases, a modified version of Ultraviolet spectroscopy could be used. This technique has been used in other astrobiological missions to detect organic molecules such as amino acids. The UV light is absorbed by the sample and the absorbance spectrum can be used to determine the presence of various molecules. It is a relatively simple technique that can be miniaturized and requires little power.

What is astrobiochemistry?

Astrobiochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and molecules that are involved in the origin and evolution of life on other planets and in the universe.

What is the importance of detecting amino acids and nucleotide bases in astrobiochemistry?

Amino acids and nucleotide bases are the building blocks of life as we know it. The detection of these molecules in other planets or environments can give us clues about the potential for life to exist in those places.

How are amino acids and nucleotide bases detected in astrobiochemistry?

Amino acids and nucleotide bases can be detected through various methods such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These techniques help scientists identify the chemical composition of a sample and determine if it contains these important molecules.

What challenges are faced in detecting amino acids and nucleotide bases in astrobiochemistry?

The main challenge in detecting amino acids and nucleotide bases in astrobiochemistry is the complex nature of the molecules and the possibility of contamination from other sources. It requires highly sensitive and specialized equipment to accurately detect these molecules in trace amounts.

What are the implications of finding amino acids and nucleotide bases in other planets or environments?

The discovery of amino acids and nucleotide bases in other planets or environments could have significant implications for our understanding of the origin of life and the potential for extraterrestrial life. It could also provide valuable insights into the conditions necessary for life to arise and thrive in different environments.