Quick rotational spectroscopy question(only need ideas/suggestions)

In summary, as molecular size increases, it becomes increasingly difficult to experimentally obtain well-resolved rotational spectra due to tightly packed energy levels and the practical challenges of turning the molecule into its gaseous state. Additionally, larger molecules may exhibit a significant degree of symmetry and low lying vibrational modes that can mix with rotational modes, making it difficult to interpret the resulting spectrum.
baldywaldy

Homework Statement

Give two reasons why as molecular size increases does it become increasingly difficult to experimentally obtain well-resolved rotational spectra?

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I know one reason. The energy levels become more tightly packed.

I have another idea and that's that its very unpractical to turn the molecule into its gaseous state.

I think that's the answers but i wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are decent answers. I might also include that, in the absence of a significant degree of symmetry, the molecule can get quite floppy as it gets larger, and some of the low lying vibrational modes might mix with rotational modes and convolute the whole spectrum into a godawful mess.

What is quick rotational spectroscopy?

Quick rotational spectroscopy is a technique used to study the rotation of molecules. It involves measuring the energy changes that occur as a molecule rotates and using that information to determine its structure and properties.

Why is quick rotational spectroscopy important?

Quick rotational spectroscopy is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of molecules in different environments, such as in gases or liquids. It also provides valuable information about molecular structure and can help in identifying unknown substances.

What types of molecules can be studied using quick rotational spectroscopy?

Quick rotational spectroscopy can be used to study a wide range of molecules, including simple diatomic molecules, linear molecules, and even complex organic molecules. The technique is particularly useful for studying molecules with low symmetry.

How is quick rotational spectroscopy carried out?

In quick rotational spectroscopy, a sample of the molecule is excited using a high-frequency radiation source, such as a microwave or laser. The energy changes that occur as the molecule rotates are then measured and analyzed to determine its properties.

What are the applications of quick rotational spectroscopy?

Quick rotational spectroscopy has many applications in chemistry, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used in the analysis of gases, the study of interstellar molecules, and the determination of molecular structures. It can also be used in medical diagnostics and environmental monitoring.