Actuator-solenoid valve circuit

In summary, Mr. Jim's circuit appears to be functional, but may need modification to withstand multiple frequencies. He suggests adding a diode to ensure a one way signal.
Bassalisk
So I designed a circuit. It is controlling a pulsating actuator-solenoid. I used a power BJT as shown in attachment.

Now I have a problem.

As you can see all 4 circuits are in parallel. As a consequence, all 4 solenoids have one lead in common.

When I test each subcircuit, it works fine. You can see in the attachment a picture of my circuit. Left 8 leads are going to potentiometers. Each potentiometer is controlling one solenoid. As I said, when only one solenoid is connected it works fine, I can adjust the speed of pulses as I desire.

But when I put all 4 solenoids, and turn on the circuit something bizarre happens. If they are all at the same frequency, ergo all pots are at same level, they pulsate ok. But when I change one of the solenoids frequency, it shuts off(that solenoid). Others stay the same, but of course other 3 are at the same frequency. It doesn't pulsate slower nor faster.

As if my circuit does not withstand multiple frequencies.

Am I making some obvious mistake?

Can this circuit be modified, or are there any other circuits for this mechanism to work?

Idea is to control the flow of water. Valve opens and shuts and that controls how much water is sprinkling. Those pots are controlling the speed of those impulses.

I used 555 timer to do this.

Attachments

• 8684c24bda572d13026b62b38ce20b8c.jpg
    8684c24bda572d13026b62b38ce20b8c.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 728
  • Image044.jpg
    Image044.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 555
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could it be that you need a diode across the coils?

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/diopro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have the protection diodes in #2 regardless of your problem.

When one timer switches, the relay may be putting a voltage glitch into the power supply lines that is triggering the other timers with a similar time constant, and/or resetting the "odd one out" so it never manages to trigger.

Try your circuit with the "odd one" triggering both faster and slower than the other three. That might prove the point.

I would have separate the "analog" and "digital" power supplies. Make a simple smoothed power supply for the timer chips, that takes power from the 24V supply and delivers a lower regulated voltage to the timers. E.g. a 7815 regulator chip, or even a zener diode regulator. Use that to power the top end of R3, R8, etc.

i'd wager your power supply is 'collapsing' under load of multiple solenoids.

first try a really stout supply like a car battery

and with 555's, power supply bypassing is important especially if leads are long.

try a couple thousand uf real close to the 555's, and a 0.1 ceramic even closer.

that should change symptoms, at least.

hands on is way to learn. keep it up!

Omg it looks so obvious! How could have I missed that?!? Signals are in deed mixing up.

Power supply isn't the problem mr. jim. I was given 300 Euro, industrial 24V power supply, used in many machines today. It is giving out 24V all the time.
Yes, these guys really trust me.

One more question though. In addition of putting a diode in parallel, should I try putting a diode in series too?

To ensure I am getting one way signal?

To emphasize, my circuit has frequencies from 1Hz to 20Hz.About that capacitor, I put 10 uf in parallel with 555 timer. Like in the picture below. Is that what you are talking about?

http://pokit.org/get/e212cc400b6d6f4eddcc49bc17d7e2cd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To add: I soldered in series a 1N4148 diode and in parallel. I hope it will withstand pulses of 200 mA, datasheet says it will...

1. What is an actuator-solenoid valve circuit?

An actuator-solenoid valve circuit is a type of control system that uses an actuator to open and close a solenoid valve. The actuator is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion, while the solenoid valve is a type of valve that is controlled by an electric current. Together, they form a circuit that can control the flow of a fluid or gas.

2. How does an actuator-solenoid valve circuit work?

An actuator-solenoid valve circuit works by sending an electrical signal to the actuator, which then moves to open or close the solenoid valve. When the valve is open, the fluid or gas can flow through, and when it is closed, the flow is stopped. This process is controlled by the electrical current and can be adjusted to regulate the flow rate and pressure.

3. What are the applications of an actuator-solenoid valve circuit?

An actuator-solenoid valve circuit has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used in automation systems, robotics, and industrial processes that require precise control of fluid or gas flow. It can also be found in household appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

4. What are the advantages of using an actuator-solenoid valve circuit?

One of the main advantages of an actuator-solenoid valve circuit is its fast response time. It can open and close the valve quickly, making it suitable for applications that require rapid changes in flow. It is also a cost-effective solution as it requires minimal maintenance and has a long lifespan. Additionally, it can be easily integrated into existing control systems.

5. What are the potential issues with an actuator-solenoid valve circuit?

One potential issue with an actuator-solenoid valve circuit is the risk of electrical or mechanical failure. This can result in the valve being stuck in an open or closed position, causing disruption to the flow. Another issue is the build-up of debris or sediment, which can obstruct the valve and affect its performance. Regular maintenance and proper installation can help prevent these issues.