Is Natural Unpolarized Light Equivalent to Randomly Fluctuating Elliptic Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of natural unpolarized light as a sum of two orthogonal, linearly polarized components with a randomly fluctuating phase difference. It is questioned whether this is equivalent to representing it as elliptic light with fluctuating ellipticity and tilt angle. The conversation ends with a disagreement on whether the tilt angle has to change as well for the light to be considered completely random.
Niles
Hi

We can represent natural unpolarized light as a sum of two orthogonal, linearly polarized components with a randomly fluctuating phase difference. Is it correct to say that this is equivalent to representing it as elliptic light, where the ellipticity fluctuates randomly in time?

Niles.

Science news on Phys.org
Interesting. I suppose you could, since the electric field vector can be decomposed into two orthogonal elliptical states. You would have to allow not only the ellipticity but also the tilt angle to fluctuate- why the extra complication?

Andy Resnick said:
Interesting. I suppose you could, since the electric field vector can be decomposed into two orthogonal elliptical states. You would have to allow not only the ellipticity but also the tilt angle to fluctuate- why the extra complication?

I was just wondering, no specific reason. But I don't agree with you, when you say the tilt angle has to change as well. When I look at E traversing an ellipse, which has a randomly fluctuating ellipticity ratio -- then that looks like randomly polarized light to me. No need for the angle to change as well.

Even if the ellipticity changes randomly, if the orientation angle of the ellipse is fixed then it is not completely random. (If I correctly understand what you are saying.)

I see your points, thanks for helping!Niles.

1. What is randomly polarized light?

Randomly polarized light is a type of light in which the vibrations of the electromagnetic waves are not aligned in any specific direction. This means that the light waves are traveling in different planes and have varying amplitudes and phases.

2. How is randomly polarized light produced?

Randomly polarized light can be produced by passing unpolarized light through a polarizer at different angles, using a depolarizer, or by scattering off of rough surfaces.

3. What is the difference between randomly polarized light and polarized light?

Polarized light has all of its electromagnetic waves vibrating in the same direction, while randomly polarized light has electromagnetic waves vibrating in different directions. This results in different properties and behaviors of the light, such as the ability to be filtered by polarizers.

4. What are the applications of randomly polarized light?

Randomly polarized light is commonly used in photography, as it can produce more natural and evenly distributed lighting. It is also used in optical instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes, to reduce glare and improve image quality. In addition, it has applications in material characterization, remote sensing, and optical communication.

5. Can randomly polarized light be converted to polarized light?

Yes, randomly polarized light can be converted to polarized light by passing it through a polarizer. However, this process is not perfect and some of the light will still remain randomly polarized.