Would time travel to the past be possible if ?

In summary, accessing a parallel universe through a "quantum wormhole" sounds like science fiction and is currently not possible according to current physics. While some theories suggest it may be possible in the future, there is no known way to create or access a parallel universe, and the existence of a "quantum wormhole" is still a hypothetical concept.
Sasquatch544
Would time travel to the past be possible if...?

We didn't focus on reversing time itself (which is obviously impossible), but focused on accessing a past parallel universe. And creating some sort of portal to these past parallel universes, like a "quantum" wormhole (i know it sounds like science fiction). Obviously (if this was possible) we are centuries, probably even millenniums away from this technology, but theoretically, could this be done?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would assume there would exist no 'currently in the past' parallel universe. I'm under the impression when new universes are created (according to Many-Worlds), they exist - on a time scale - at the same point on that scale.

There is currently no known way to access a parallel universe, if one even exists, nor do I believe there is such a thing as a "quantum wormhole", so your question has no answer since it doesn't deal with current physics.

Parallel universes are so comforting. They explain everything and are unfalsifiable.

Chronos said:
Parallel universes are so comforting. They explain everything and are unfalsifiable.

Just like God!111

Chronos said:

Parallel universes are in fact falsifiable. If we every develop a self consistent and paradox-free fundamental theory of physics that (unlike quantum theory) somehow selects out a particular reality from all of the possible realities, the theory of parallel universes would be rendered false.

Drakkith said:
There is currently no known way to access a parallel universe...

A wormhole operating as a time machine (or any spacetime containing closed timelike curves) leads to inconsistencies unless the wormhole connects parallel universes. [See David Deutsch, Physical Review D, 44, 3197 (1991)] As it is quite easy for any wormholes that exist to become time machines, the existence of wormhole implies the existence of connections between parallel universes.
... nor do I believe there is such a thing as a "quantum wormhole"...

Actually, the existence of quantum wormholes, unlike classical wormholes, is not controversial. It has long been assumed that any reasonable theory of quantum gravity would have to describe spacetime at the submicroscopic level as a "quantum foam" containing every possible geometry -- including wormholes.

A good popular explanation of these points is The Physics of Stargates: Parallel Universes, Time Travel, and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics by Enrico Rodrigo. You might also want to check out the wormhole chapter of Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip Thorne.

Last edited:

Sasquatch544 said:
We didn't focus on reversing time itself (which is obviously impossible), but focused on accessing a past parallel universe. And creating some sort of portal to these past parallel universes, like a "quantum" wormhole (i know it sounds like science fiction). Obviously (if this was possible) we are centuries, probably even millenniums away from this technology, but theoretically, could this be done?

In the most conservative approaches to quantum gravity, it is not possible to create a wormhole. One would instead enlarge a preexisting submicroscopic quantum wormhole (large quantities of which are presumed to exist in every cubic meter of space). This would require some sort of ultra-high frequency negative energy source. Although no one knows how to create such a source, the existence of such a thing has not, despite a lot of effort, been shown to be inconsistent with the laws of physics.

Short answer: Theoretically, it could be done.
[Keep in mind, however, that it is also theoretically possible to produce enough antimatter to annihilate all matter in the galaxy.]

I won't disagree with you Harry, but since they are 100% hypothetical at the moment and are thought to need negative energy or mass or whatever pretty much shuts the door on them for me personally. Until we have good reason to think otherwise of course.

Drakkith said:
I won't disagree with you Harry, but since they are 100% hypothetical at the moment and are thought to need negative energy or mass or whatever pretty much shuts the door on them for me personally. Until we have good reason to think otherwise of course.

Drakkith,

You're not thinking like a theoretical physicist. Once you believe the theory (because it's passed a battery of experimental tests), you're supposed to believe its predictions. Remember, black holes were purely theoretical objects for most of the 20th century. Yet during that time lots of theorists firmly (and justifiably) believed in their existence.

So far, despite considerable effort to prove otherwise, quantum theory permits scenarios involving arbitrarily negative energy (especially if scalar fields exists). Our best theories (QM & GR) tell us, therefore, that wormholes could be in principle be constructed.

The problem is that our theories are NOT perfect. General Relativity predicts a singularity at the middle of a black hole, yet to my knowledge most scientists do not actually believe there is a "real singularity", only that it's a product of an incomplete theory. One cannot simply accept all predictions, especially when they contradict other theories or laws. There must be good reason to accept it. So currently there is little reason to believe that we can construct or use wormholes.

1. Is time travel to the past scientifically possible?

Currently, the scientific consensus is that time travel to the past is not possible. While there are many theories and ideas about how it could potentially work, there is no evidence or technology that supports the idea.

2. What are some theories about how time travel to the past could work?

One theory is the concept of wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels in space-time that could potentially allow for travel to different points in time. Another idea is the use of black holes, which have such strong gravitational forces that they could potentially warp space-time and allow for time travel.

3. Can traveling to the past create paradoxes?

Yes, many theories suggest that traveling to the past could create paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox, where one could potentially go back in time and prevent their own birth. These paradoxes are often used as evidence against the possibility of time travel to the past.

4. Has time travel to the past been proven to be impossible?

No, time travel to the past has not been definitively proven to be impossible. While it is currently not supported by scientific evidence, there is ongoing research and exploration into the concept. It is always possible that future advancements in technology or understanding of physics may change our understanding of time travel.

5. Are there any potential ethical implications of time travel to the past?

Yes, there are many ethical considerations that would need to be addressed if time travel to the past were to become a reality. It could potentially disrupt the natural flow of history and have unintended consequences. There are also questions about the potential for altering the past or interfering with free will.