Oblique collisions between non-sliding surfaces

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in modeling the behavior of a simple isolated system consisting of two identical spherical particles with basic ideal properties in both two and three dimensions. They have equal radius and the same amount of matter distributed homogeneously within their enclosed volume. The speaker is interested in understanding the behavior of the system in both head-on and oblique collisions, where the surfaces cannot slide against each other. They seek help in deriving the equations to model this transformation between linear and angular motion. They have also provided a speculative animation to illustrate the scenario.
User69
Good day all.

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked a million times before. I have not been able to find a straight-forward answer to my wonderings; maybe because they do not yield a straight-forward question.

As part of a large exercise of thinking for the joy of thinking*, I am trying to model the behavior of a simple isolated system consisting of two identical spherical particles with basic ideal properties. For simplicity, I am initially considering them to be bidimensional discs capable of moving in two perpendicular axes on the same plane, but I would eventually like to understand the behavior of the system in three dimensions.

Both particles have an equal radius and the same amount of matter distributed homogeneously within their enclosed volume; they are solid, rigid, indivisible and identical. Their surface is not "sticky" -they will not become attached upon collision- but it cannot slide either: when both particles are in contact, for the surface of one to be able to move laterally, the surface of the other must move laterally by the same amount.

If one particle is still and the other moves directly towards its center, having both no rotational motion, their collision will be head-on, with no tangential velocity and perfectly elastic: both particles will exchange all their kinetic energy, since no energy can be dissipated as deformation or loss of internal structure, nor lost due to friction (the system is isolated and therefore in absolute vacuum, and the only interaction has no tangential velocity).

However, when the collision is oblique, the inability of the surfaces to slide against each other will surely introduce a force parallel to the tangential velocity (and therefore to both surfaces) but in opposite direction, causing some of that tangential velocity to be transformed into angular motion of the particles involved. After the collision, the sum of the kinetic energies of both particles will be smaller than the kinetic energy the moving particle had before the collision (i.e. it will be an inelastic collision), and the difference will be equal to the rotational energy gained by both particles.

The process should work in reverse. If a collision can be inelastic due to an increment in rotational energy, it can also be superelastic due to a decrement in rotational energy, as can be seen when two tops spinning in the same direction collide laterally: part of their rotational motion is transformed into linear motion and each moves away from the other at a speed greater than that with which they approached.

Up to this point, I may have made many conceptual mistakes and I would very much appreciate anyone's effort to correct them. If not, my question is how to model this transformation between linear and angular motion when two surfaces cannot slide at all. I'm afraid I lack the mathematical support needed to derive the equations myself :-(

If anyone understands the described scenario and would like to help me solve it in mathematical terms, I would be very grateful. Nevertheless, I appreciate any time anyone may have taken to read this.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oblique collisions between non-sliding surfaces (2)

In case it helps in understanding my question, I have put together a small animation showing two objects with non-sliding surfaces "colliding" ideally with no normal velocity -just tangential- but it is a speculative and artistic animation, not based at all in any calculations.

Would this be similar to the expected behavior? If so, how to calculate the outgoing translational velocity and the resulting angular momenta, taking into account that the involved surfaces cannot slide at all? If not, what would the expected behavior be?

Thanks again. Merry Christmas if it applies, have a great day anyway.

Attachments

• TangentCollision.gif
    TangentCollision.gif
    15 KB · Views: 503

1. What is an oblique collision?

An oblique collision is a type of collision between two objects in which the objects collide at an angle, rather than head-on. This can result in both translational and rotational motion of the objects.

2. What is the difference between sliding and non-sliding surfaces in oblique collisions?

Sliding surfaces refer to objects that are able to slide or move along each other during a collision, while non-sliding surfaces do not have this ability and remain in contact throughout the collision. In oblique collisions, the presence or absence of sliding surfaces can greatly affect the outcome of the collision.

3. How do you calculate the velocities of objects after an oblique collision?

The velocities of objects after an oblique collision can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum. These equations take into account the masses, initial velocities, and angles of collision of the objects.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of an oblique collision between non-sliding surfaces?

The outcome of an oblique collision between non-sliding surfaces can be affected by a variety of factors such as the masses and initial velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution, which measures the amount of energy lost during the collision.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an oblique collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, can greatly affect the outcome of an oblique collision between non-sliding surfaces. A higher coefficient of restitution means that more energy is conserved during the collision, resulting in greater velocities and less deformation of the objects involved.