Need Help Finding the Perfect Shape? Discover the Ideal Shape for Your Needs!"

• Thread starter thematrixiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, the individual is seeking a shape in any dimension that has a greater number of A inputs than B inputs at the vertices, with all vertices having the same number of edges. They have tried various 3-dimensional shapes and shapes within shapes, but have not found a solution. They mention a pattern in 2-dimensional shapes where the number of vertices equals A+1+BD, but acknowledge that this does not work overall as one A is counted as two. They also mention Cayley Graphs and inquire about a theory that allows for a set number of in and out arrows, and receive suggestions on terms and definitions to possibly help in their search.
thematrixiam
Hey guys.

I am trying to find a shape that suits my needs.

The amount of vertexes can be any, but the fewer the better.

The edges are special in that each end has an A or a B. like this A------B

I need the vertexes to have more A than B inputs from edges.

I need all vertexes to have the same amount of edges.

I have tried various 3dimensional shapes to no avail. Maybe someone here can help me. I have even tried shapes inside of shapes.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A-------A

If each edge needs to have an A and a B then unless you can connect two edges together like A-------BB-------A I don't see how you can take an equal number of As and Bs and have more As than Bs at your vertices.

ya, that's the way it's looking.

Keep in mind this can be in any dimension. 2, 3, 4,5. just as long as I get more vertexes with more A than B.

A-----A could be possible, assuming the end result was still the same. Same with
B-----B.

each vertex should look like
Let n < m
Axn
Bxm

technically it could have
A----A
A----B
B----B
B----A
or even
/-1/2B
a--
\--1/2B
But the last one would make things a real mess.

what ever method is used, though, the same ratio and values of A:B has to be on each vertex.

edit: right now I am looking at 2-d shapes. before I was looking at 3d.

edit2: in 2d I have found the pattern of vertexes = A +1, where B = 2A. for example 4 vertexes with one a and 2 b. This works when the edges are allowed to change. I remember last night dreaming something about repeating decimals, so now I have to figure out what that meant. I think the lower the repeating decimal the better? but I could be wrong.

Edit 3: I just realized I wrote out that pattern wrong. # of vertexes = A+1+B

Last edited:
Doh!... Wasn't thinking.

The issue comes up that one A is actually existing as two. So over all the vertex would still have A=B. which doesn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

Anyone know of geometry software that could try to calculate that?

I have noticed that Cayley Graphs allow for Arrows, but only allow one going out and one going in. Does anyone here know of a theory that allows for set number of out arrows and set number of in arrows?

I don't have a solution but these definitions or terms may be helpful:

- If every edge connects exactly one vertex A and one vertex B this means your graph is 2-colorable.

- For an undirected graph, i.e. edges don't have arrows, the number of edges incident to a vertex is called degree.

- For a directed graph (edges have arrows):
The number of edges going out of a vertex is called outdegree.
The number of edges pointing to a vertex is called indegree.

Maybe you can look for a theorem using these terms.

1. What is the importance of finding the shape in scientific research?

Finding the shape of an object or structure is crucial in scientific research as it helps in understanding the physical properties and behavior of the object. It also aids in identifying patterns, making predictions, and drawing conclusions.

2. How do scientists determine the shape of an object?

Scientists use various methods such as measurements, observations, and experiments to determine the shape of an object. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze and visualize the shape of complex structures.

3. What factors can affect the shape of an object?

The shape of an object can be affected by factors such as its composition, size, temperature, and external forces. These factors can cause changes in the object's dimensions, orientation, and overall shape.

4. Can the shape of an object change over time?

Yes, the shape of an object can change over time due to natural processes or external influences. For example, erosion and weathering can alter the shape of rocks and landforms, while human activities can change the shape of structures and landscapes.

5. How does knowing the shape of an object benefit society?

Knowing the shape of an object can benefit society in various ways. It can help in the design and development of new technologies, improve product performance and efficiency, and aid in understanding the natural world around us. It can also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, engineering, and architecture.