Magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2

In summary, the problem involves a long cylinder with radius R and magnetization M=ks^2 \hat{∅}. The bound current Jb= 3ks \hat{z} and the bound surface current Kb=ks^2 \hat{s} on the top surface, Kb= -ks^2 \hat{s} on the bottom surface, and Kb = -kR^2 \hat{z} on the walls of the cylinder. The solution involves using Amperes Law and taking an amperean loop of radius S to find the current enclosed by it by integrating Jb over a circle of radius S centered about the axis.
JFuld
1. Homework Statement [/b]

this is griffiths 6.8 fyi.

a long cylinder of radius R carries magnetization M=ks^2 [itex]\hat{∅}[/itex], k is a constant and s is the distance from the axis. [itex]\hat{∅}[/itex] is the azimuthal unit vector. find the magnetic field inside and outside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

bound volume current Jb= [itex]\nabla[/itex]XM
bound surface current Kb=MX[itex]\hat{n}[/itex]

A(r)=μo/4π∫Jb(r')/(script r) dV' + μo/4π∫Kb(r')/(script r) da'

script r = r' - r

The Attempt at a Solution

first thing i did was to find the bound currents.

Jb = 3ks [itex]\hat{z}[/itex],

Kb=ks^2 [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] (on the top surface)

Kb= -ks^2 [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] (on the bottom surface)

Kb = -kR^2 [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] (on the walls of the cylinder)

Now I am stuck. I was thinking I should plug the bound currents into the equation for A(r), and find B by taking the curl of A(r). However, I am confused on what r' or script r would be. If anybody could help me out there I would apreciate it.

I am not sure if amperes law would work here, no single amperian loop would incorporate every bound current so maybe I should break the problem into multiple pieces?

How would you go about this problem? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They key point in this problem is "its a long cylinder".So you are not really obliged to worry about the the upper and the lower surfaces.They are far away.

Amperes Law does the trick for the rest of the problem.Take an amperean loop of radius S and find the current enclosed by it by integrating Jb over a circle of radius S centred about the axis.
Mathematically,
Ienc=∫(Jb2πs ds) to be integrated from 0 to S

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 is B = μ0M/2 (1+ln(r/R)), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetization, r is the distance from the center of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How does the magnetization M=ks^2 affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The magnetization M=ks^2 directly affects the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetization increases, the magnetic field also increases. This means that a cylinder with a higher value of k and a larger surface area (s^2) will have a stronger magnetic field compared to a cylinder with a lower value of k and a smaller surface area.

3. Does the direction of the magnetic field change with a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field changes with a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic moment (M).

4. Can the magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 be affected by external factors?

Yes, the magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnets or magnetic materials nearby. The presence of these external factors can alter the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is the magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 different from that of a magnet?

The magnetic field of a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 is different from that of a magnet in terms of shape and direction. A magnet typically has a distinct north and south pole, while a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 has a more uniform magnetic field along its surface. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field in a cylinder with magnetization M=ks^2 is determined by the right-hand rule, while the direction of a magnet's magnetic field is from the north to the south pole.