Can Anything Move Beyond the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter wishiwassmart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary: We could measure the speed of light by watching how quickly a light beam travels from one point to another.
wishiwassmart
I might be in the wrong section for this; however, I have been reading about relativity and I am left with a question. The speed of light is deemed as constant but it is at the limits of our perceptions or senses. Is it not possible, that something in fact can move beyond the speed of light, if it is free of similar trappings that are imposed upon us. For example, if it were possible to remove forces that act upon us locally, such as the gravity of our sun, solar system, nearby stars, even galaxy, would this shift the perception of c?
Sorry if this is confusing, at the moment its the best way I have of expressing this thought...

Physics news on Phys.org
wishiwassmart said:
The speed of light is deemed as constant but it is at the limits of our perceptions or senses.
Why do you think this? We can measure the speed of light.

Again: welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

And to elaborate: we can in a lab, point a laser at a mirror and measure the time for the laser pulse to return next to the point of emission. With the old definitions, the speed of light is the total distance divided by the time.

In that light (pun not intended), perhaps you can re-phrase your question.

Doc Al said:
Why do you think this? We can measure the speed of light.
The speed of light is regarded as, judged as, or considered as constant. Light is part of our perception of everything we can observe. In sight, light is used to see. The speed of light is the fastest known speed, therefore it is at our limits of our perceptions/senses. I never stated that it was beyond our limits. I apologize I thought that part was clearly stated. I will attempt to clarify the rest of the question, which brings context to that statement.

I am questioning our ability to measure it as constant for the universe and also our ability to measure it as the fastest speed. If we use light to measure it and measure it in the same environment that we exist in, how do we know it this will hold true if it is measured and observed in an environment free of some or most of the limitations that act upon our environment? - This mainly questions constant. Is it possible that something can move faster than the speed of light, but we simply lack the means to observe it at this time? -this is the question related to light being at the limit of our perception senses. For example, how would we measure the speed of light, or even know to, if we did not have eyes?

harrylin said:
Again: welcome to physicsforums! :smile:

And to elaborate: we can in a lab, point a laser at a mirror and measure the time for the laser pulse to return next to the point of emission. With the old definitions, the speed of light is the total distance divided by the time.

In that light (pun not intended), perhaps you can re-phrase your question.
Thank you :)

I hope my reply to Doc helps.

wishiwassmart said:
The speed of light is regarded as, judged as, or considered as constant. Light is part of our perception of everything we can observe. In sight, light is used to see. The speed of light is the fastest known speed, therefore it is at our limits of our perceptions/senses.
Not really. The measurement that I sketched can be performed in a university room. The point is that we don't need to "run along" with something in order to measure its speed. We can just sit and watch like spectators who watch a car race.
[..] I am questioning our ability to measure it as constant for the universe
Another misunderstanding: we simply measure the speed. According to theory, the speed of light corresponds to a constant of nature. The theory has not been disproved.
and also our ability to measure it as the fastest speed. If we use light to measure it
In order to measure the speed of a car, one should measure the speed of a car - right?
and measure it in the same environment that we exist in, how do we know it this will hold true if it is measured and observed in an environment free of some or most of the limitations that act upon our environment?
That can be done for example by means of interplanetary measurements. According to the general theory of relativity, the speed of light isn't the exactly the same non-locally, just as you seem to suggest. And this was confirmed by measurements.
[..] how would we measure the speed of light, or even know to, if we did not have eyes?
We measure the speed of light with light detectors as well as with radio antennas. Light is a form of radio wave.

Did that help?

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and nothing can exceed it.

2. Why is the speed of light considered the cosmic speed limit?

The speed of light is considered the cosmic speed limit because it is the fastest possible speed at which any form of energy or information can travel in the universe. It plays a crucial role in many laws of physics and is a fundamental constant of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the idea that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Many experiments and observations have been conducted to support the idea that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant and does not change relative to an observer's motion. Additionally, the laws of physics, such as the theory of relativity, are based on the assumption that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe.

4. Could there be any exceptions to the rule that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that there are any exceptions to the rule that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose ways to potentially circumvent this limit by manipulating spacetime itself. These theories are still speculative and require further research and experimentation.

5. How does the speed of light affect our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It is a crucial factor in many laws of physics and is fundamental to our understanding of space and time. It also plays a crucial role in astronomy and cosmology, as the speed of light is used to measure distances and determine the age of the universe. Without the speed of light, our understanding of the universe would be vastly different.