Finding the spring constant of a torsion spring.

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the spring constant (k) of a bundle of nylon-6 rope acting as a torsion spring. They have twisted the rope bundle 3 full revolutions and fixed it at equilibrium with a length of 36cm. They also want to know the equation to find the spring constant and the force needed to pull back an arm at a certain angle, and the forces the arm will project when it returns to equilibrium. The speaker mentions knowing how to find the spring constant for a metal spring coil using the equation k = (E*d^3)/(8*D^4*n), where n is the number of coils, d is the wire diameter, D is the diameter of the spring, and E is
Silvershield
Hi,

How would I go about finding the spring constant of a bundle of nylon rope acting as a torsion spring?

I know the length. I don't know the width of the bundle. When twisted I wanted roughly 6cm diameter (is that a wrong method)?

I ll be twisting it by 1080 degrees.

When twisted as above ^ -

how can I calculate how much force/energy it will project if an arm in the middle of the torsion spring is pulled against it by a certain length/angle.

Im guessing that the longer the arm, the more it can pull back.

Like a ballista.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, could you clarify your question? But here are some stuff I know about torsion.

Torque = -[itex]\kappa[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]
Where Kappa is the torsional coefficient and theta the angle rotated.

Period = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{I/\kappa}[/itex]

Yes, the question is a bit over the place.

Im trying to find the spring constant (k) of a bundle of nylon-6 rope.

The total diameter of the rope is 6cm roughly.

I've twisted the rope bundle 3 full revolutions and have fixed it at equilibrium.

The length of this rope bundle spring is 36cm

What is the working out/steps/equation to find the spring constant?

Furthermore, If I fix an arm in the middle of the spring, I wish to find the force needed to pull back 50 degrees (length 50cm of arm), and the forces the arm will project when it returns to equilibrium.

I know how to find the spring constant of a metal spring coil, however.
k = ( E*d ^3) / (8 * D^4 * n)
n = number of coils
d= wire diameter, D = diameter of spring, E = young's modulus

1. How do you measure the spring constant of a torsion spring?

The spring constant of a torsion spring can be measured by applying a known torque and measuring the resulting angular displacement. This can be done using a torsion balance or by attaching the spring to a rotating shaft and measuring the torque required to twist the spring a certain angle.

2. What is the formula for calculating the spring constant of a torsion spring?

The formula for calculating the spring constant of a torsion spring is k = (π/2)Gd^4/NL, where k is the spring constant, G is the shear modulus of the material, d is the diameter of the spring, N is the number of turns, and L is the length of the spring.

3. How does the material of the spring affect its spring constant?

The material of the spring affects its spring constant through the shear modulus, which is a measure of the material's resistance to shearing forces. A higher shear modulus will result in a higher spring constant, meaning the spring will require more force to twist a certain angle.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated spring constant?

The accuracy of the calculated spring constant can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurements, the condition of the spring (e.g. any deformities or wear), and external factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. Can the spring constant of a torsion spring change over time?

Yes, the spring constant of a torsion spring can change over time due to factors such as material fatigue, wear and tear, and environmental conditions. It is important to regularly check and recalibrate the spring constant to ensure accurate results.