3D model with wind tunnel-CFD simulation

In summary, a 3D model with wind tunnel-CFD simulation is a tool used to analyze the aerodynamics of an object or structure. This process involves creating a digital 3D model of the object and then simulating airflow and forces on the model using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software. The results of the simulation can provide valuable insights on the aerodynamic performance of the object, such as drag, lift, and flow patterns. This technology is commonly used in industries such as aerospace and automotive engineering to optimize the design of vehicles and improve their performance. It is also used in architecture and construction to analyze the wind effects on buildings and structures. Overall, 3D model with wind tunnel-CFD simulation allows for a more efficient
banun
Hello,

i am Fluent beginner..im doing thesis about aerodynamics on solar race car..
have to study about its drag and lift coeeficient..

i need help about how to 3D mesh the car and the wind tunnel..

now i have draw the car model as one part and the big square as wind tunnel as another part in Solid work, i mate them as an assembly..save as IGS file to be open in ANSYS

now I am stuck how to do mesh on that 3D model and wind tunnel..

really need help..thanks a lot for any help..really appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
Try with ANSYS Workbench and then CFX or Fluent as solvers...is really easy to do the mesh with workbench. Just import your geometry and create an enveloping body (dont know how that function is called in the english version).

Hope it helps!
Cheers

thanks rideway,,!

i use FLuent as my solvers..

now i have import the IGS file..open the Design Modeler,
then i open mesh...

i select the front edge of the hollow box ( wind tunnel) and name it as inlet using Create Name Selection

the back edge of the hollow box (the wind tunnel) as outlet

it is for boundary condition for the next step..is it right?

i have problem which part is need to generate mesh..

to make the air flow go through inside horizontally..for simulation..

I don't know if i understood properly what you are doing, but you don't need to model any "wind tunnel", just the model of what you want to test. then you give the meassures of your wind tunnel, for example: 3m distance in +x direction, 10m in -x, 0.05m in -z, etc

Then you will get a squared box. You can already name each surface or leave it for the meshing module. Important there to name inlet,outlet, wall/openings, and a group with your model (so you can define it as a solid later).

Then you define two domains: fluid and solid. Fluid will have those boundaries mentioned before.

There are many tutorials that will help you with the first questions that may arise.

Cheers!

owh, i will do as u explain to me..

feel really dumb, i do a model of wind tunnel model because my friend told me to do that first..it shows that a lot we need to study

thanks, hope u dnt mind if I am asking later..

(^_^)

im using ANSYS 12.1...do u have any suggestion to refer any tutorial to do mesh in wind tunnel application?

with analysis on drag and lift coeeficient if possible...

my mesh have error..ermmm..will try figure it out...

If you don't have the tutorials, search the web. There is a lot of information to all those questions that may arise at the beggining. If you still struggle, then I recommend you cfd-online.com forum

For your simulations, you would like this tutorial

1. How does a wind tunnel-CFD simulation work?

A wind tunnel-CFD simulation combines physical wind tunnel testing with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to analyze the aerodynamic performance of a 3D model. The 3D model is placed inside a wind tunnel, where air is blown over and around it at different speeds and angles. The resulting data is then fed into a CFD software, which uses numerical methods to simulate the flow of air around the model and calculate various aerodynamic properties.

2. What are the advantages of using a wind tunnel-CFD simulation?

One major advantage of using a wind tunnel-CFD simulation is the ability to test and analyze a 3D model in a controlled and repeatable environment. This allows for more accurate and precise results compared to physical testing alone. Additionally, CFD simulations can provide detailed visualizations and data that would be difficult or impossible to obtain through physical testing, making it a more cost-effective and efficient method of analysis.

3. Can a wind tunnel-CFD simulation be used to test any 3D model?

Yes, a wind tunnel-CFD simulation can be used to test a wide range of 3D models, from small objects to large structures. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the 3D model and the assumptions made in the CFD software. It is important to ensure that the 3D model accurately represents the real-world object and that the simulation parameters are appropriate for the intended use of the model.

4. How does the wind tunnel-CFD simulation help in the design process?

A wind tunnel-CFD simulation can provide valuable insights into the aerodynamic performance of a 3D model, allowing for informed design decisions to be made. By analyzing the flow of air around the model, designers can identify areas of high drag or turbulence and make adjustments to improve the overall performance. This helps to reduce the number of physical prototypes needed and can ultimately save time and resources in the design process.

5. Are there any limitations to using a wind tunnel-CFD simulation?

While wind tunnel-CFD simulations have many advantages, there are some limitations to consider. The accuracy of the simulation is dependent on the quality of the 3D model and the assumptions made in the CFD software. Additionally, the simulation may not accurately capture real-world conditions, such as changes in wind speed and direction. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and validate the results with physical testing when necessary.