Calculating the Current in a Two battery Combination Circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the current through a 1.94Ω resistor in a circuit with various resistors and a voltage source. The equations V=IR, ƩI in a junction = ƩI out of a junction, and ƩV in a loop = 0 were used to solve the problem. After a few attempts, it was discovered that the numbers for R2 and R3 had been mixed up, resulting in an incorrect solution.
BornSurvivor

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown in the figure below, calculate the current I4 through the 1.94Ω resistor.
cutj20104.gif

As shown, R1 = 4.05Ω, R2 = 8.11Ω, R3 = 6.17Ω, R4 = 1.94Ω, I1 = 2.97A and E1 = 12V

Homework Equations

V=IR
ƩI in a junction = ƩI out of a junction
ƩV in a loop = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I1R1+I1R2 -E1 + I2R3 =0
I1 = I2 + I4
So
I4 =I1 - ((-(I1*R1) - I1R2 + E1)/R3)

I don't have many tries left, so I want to know if my analytical solution is correct, and if I've just been making my error plugging the numbers back in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BornSurvivor! :smile:
BornSurvivor said:
I1R1+I1R2 -E1 + I2R3 =0
I1 = I2 + I4

looks ok so far

but won't you need an equation involving E2 ? :confused:

Nope! Those two equations were all I needed. It turns out I had mixed up the numbers for R2 and R3. :)

What is the formula for calculating the current in a two battery combination circuit?

The formula for calculating the current in a two battery combination circuit is I = (V1 + V2)/R, where I is the current, V1 and V2 are the voltages of the two batteries, and R is the total resistance in the circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a two battery combination circuit?

The total resistance in a two battery combination circuit can be calculated by adding the individual resistances in the circuit. For resistors in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while for resistors in parallel, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.

What factors can affect the current in a two battery combination circuit?

The current in a two battery combination circuit can be affected by the voltage of the batteries, the total resistance in the circuit, and the type and arrangement of the components in the circuit (series or parallel). Additionally, the temperature and material properties of the components can also impact the current.

What happens to the current if one of the batteries in a two battery combination circuit is removed?

If one of the batteries in a two battery combination circuit is removed, the current in the circuit will decrease. This is because the total voltage in the circuit is reduced, and according to Ohm's Law, as voltage decreases, current decreases as well.

Can the current in a two battery combination circuit ever be negative?

No, the current in a two battery combination circuit can never be negative. Current is defined as the flow of positive charge, so it can only have positive values. If the calculated current is negative, it means that the direction of the current is opposite to the assumed direction in the circuit, and the actual current will still be positive.