How does a windshield tell the wiper to work?

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the windshield wiper system on my dad's Buick uses a switch to sense when it's raining and starts the wipers working. It then adjusts the speed and frequency to match the amount of rain hitting the windshield.
Artman
My dad has a Buick that has a windshield wiper system that senses somehow that it is raining and automatically starts the wipers working, then adjusts the speed and frequency to match the amount of rain hitting the windshield.

How does this work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a switch!

There are two parallel thin wires running very close to each other, these are coiled in on themselves, and placed somewhere on the outside of the car. When a water droplet bridges the gap between the two wires, a current can flow and this triggers the wiper circuit. I guess that there are a few of these 'switches' with different spacings in order to alter the speed and frequency of the wiper cycle.

Thanks brewnog. I figured it had to be something like that. My dad thought it was a visual sensor, but I pointed out to him that it couldn't work in the dark.

Isn't rain water pure and thus non-conductive? Or does all water have some conductivity. Or is rain water simply not pure.

Jake said:
Isn't rain water pure and thus non-conductive? Or does all water have some conductivity. Or is rain water simply not pure.
You live in NY and you think there's such a thing as pure rain water?

With as much acid that's in the rain anymore I'm surprised that we all don't have windshields that etched so bad you can even see through them!

The acid rain has definitely made a difference in my garden over the decades. I actually have to adjust for the ph after a heavy rain! And I live in the mountains! :yuck:

Oh darn that's right, I forgot that we don't live in a clean environment anymore >_<

Other methods include a piezo vibration sensor, as well as a multiband optical sensor to determine rain, vs other types of contamination on the windshield. Nissan used the piezo sensors for the last 20 years. The multiband optical was developed at TRW, so most likely it ended up on GM and or Chrysler.

Ron

Where exactly are the rain detectors located? Windshield bottom I suppose? Are they easily visible?

Peizo's are on the hood, typically under the heat shield. Multiband are typically in the defroster vents, not sure about the wire type.
Ron

brewnog said:
It's a switch!

There are two parallel thin wires running very close to each other, these are coiled in on themselves, and placed somewhere on the outside of the car. When a water droplet bridges the gap between the two wires, a current can flow and this triggers the wiper circuit. I guess that there are a few of these 'switches' with different spacings in order to alter the speed and frequency of the wiper cycle.

Pretty cool, I might go and have look later and see if my family's car h ave it.

1. How does a windshield wiper system work?

The windshield wiper system is composed of several parts, including the wiper motor, wiper arms, and wiper blades. When the driver activates the wiper switch, an electrical current is sent to the wiper motor, which then rotates the wiper arms. The wiper arms are connected to the wiper blades, which move back and forth across the windshield, clearing away water and debris.

2. How does the windshield wiper know when to turn on and off?

The wiper motor is equipped with a sensor that detects the amount of water on the windshield. When the sensor detects a certain level of moisture, it sends a signal to the wiper control module, which then activates the wiper motor to turn the wipers on. The wiper control module also has a timer that determines how long the wipers will stay on before automatically turning off.

3. What happens if the windshield wipers stop working?

If the windshield wipers stop working, it could be due to a malfunction in the wiper motor, a blown fuse, or a damaged wiper linkage. It is important to have the issue diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible, as malfunctioning wipers can affect visibility while driving in wet conditions.

4. Can I manually control the windshield wipers?

Most modern vehicles have an intermittent wiper setting that allows the driver to manually control the speed of the wipers. This setting can be adjusted using the wiper switch on the vehicle's control panel.

5. How often should I replace my windshield wiper blades?

It is recommended to replace windshield wiper blades every 6-12 months, or as soon as they show signs of wear and tear. Worn out wiper blades can reduce visibility and may even cause damage to the windshield. It is also important to regularly clean the wiper blades to ensure they are working effectively.