Research in Math History? Publication?

In summary, Sloan Despeaux, a math historian at the University of South Florida, told me that most undergraduate research in mathematics is out of reach for me until I get further along into my upper level classes. However, she recommended contacting Dr. Despeaux, who she knows, to see if there are any research opportunities in math history available for me.
dkotschessaa
Ever since I (re)started my undergraduate mathematics studies I've been trying to get involved in some kind of research. Unfortunately it seems that most mathematics research is a bit out of reach for me until I get further along into my upper level classes. However, I have been taking a class on the early history of mathematics and I seriously enjoy it. I get so involved in some of these research papers I feel like I could continue on to a full thesis if I had the time (or a reason).

This is a topic that seems a bit more approachable with my math background (I will be finishing my third semester of calculus this semester). So I am wondering if anybody knows of undergraduate research opportunities for math history. I just found out about SMURCHOM - the Smoky Mountain Undergraduate Conference on the History of Mathematics. unfortunately it is 1) past the deadline for this year and 2) a biannual thing, so there is no "next year," only the year after next.

Do undergraduates publish papers in journals such as Historia Mathematica and so forth? Or is there another undergraduate publication that might accept work?

Thanks,

Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon the bump.

Sloan Despeaux would be a good person to talk to, even if it is too late to register. She could give you ideas about undergrad research in math history. I'm not sure, but I think Toval Foguel has to approve it anyway (if you go to WCU), so he may be a good person to talk about it.

By the way, do you go to Western? I'll be going there next year.

TylerH said:
Sloan Despeaux would be a good person to talk to, even if it is too late to register. She could give you ideas about undergrad research in math history. I'm not sure, but I think Toval Foguel has to approve it anyway (if you go to WCU), so he may be a good person to talk about it.

You know, I *just* found out about that undergraduate conference (SMURCHOM) - too late to do anything this year, and another doesn't occur until 2014. But you're right, perhaps I could contact one of those people directly?
By the way, do you go to Western? I'll be going there next year.

No, I'm at the University of South Florida. We have one lovable but ancient math history professor, already an emeritus, who is retiring (for real) next year. So I don't know if I'll have any good mentors here for this.

-Dave K

I've taken classes there and most of the professors seems really nice and glad to talk to anyone genuinely interested in their subject. I've never met Sloan personally, but I know a few of her colleagues and they're all nice. I'd bet she's probably very approachable, too.

TylerH said:
I've taken classes there and most of the professors seems really nice and glad to talk to anyone genuinely interested in their subject. I've never met Sloan personally, but I know a few of her colleagues and they're all nice. I'd bet she's probably very approachable, too.

I actually sent an e-mail to Dr. Despeaux. I'll see what she has to say. Thanks.

1. What is the importance of research in math history?

Research in math history is important because it allows us to understand the development of mathematical concepts and theories over time. It also provides insight into the contributions of different cultures and individuals to the field of mathematics.

2. How is research in math history conducted?

Research in math history involves analyzing historical documents, artifacts, and other sources to gather information about mathematical developments and discoveries. This can include studying ancient texts, examining mathematical tools and instruments, and analyzing historical data.

3. What are some common topics in research on math history?

Common topics in research on math history include the origins of mathematical concepts, the influence of different cultures on the development of mathematics, and the lives and contributions of famous mathematicians.

4. How is research in math history published?

Research in math history is typically published in academic journals or books. It undergoes a rigorous review process by experts in the field before being accepted for publication.

5. How does research in math history impact the present and future of mathematics?

Research in math history helps us to understand the foundations of mathematics and how it has evolved over time. This knowledge can inform and inspire current and future mathematicians in their own research and discoveries.