Ly : localized modes in linear chain and localization effects

In summary, localised modes in a linear chain are when certain components of the eigenvectors are significantly different from zero, and the localisation length is the decay constant for the exponential decay around the eigen vector.
jaykay
urgently need help: localized modes in linear chain and localization effects

Hello everyone, it is great place you have here, hope I can learn a lot from you

I am doing some readings and there are couple of concepts that I havent
been familiar with and if you spend a little time to help me with I would
be really grateful:

Can you please give some explanation aobut the concepts of "localised
modes", "localisation effects" and "localisation length" for a linear (atonmic) chain.

The definition I am given is "For the normalised eigenvectors q(wr) ‘localised’ modes may be thought of as those for which only a contiguous subset of the
components of q(wr) are significantly different from zero" which I find
hard to understand.

Can you please explain abit more about localisation effect and how we would get an estimate of the "localisation length".

If it is too much trouble for you please point me to a source of information

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please please help

is the localisation effect is when there's disorder or impurity in the chain and it will be detectable in the the spectrum of normal mode somehow?

and what is the localisation length :(

pplease help, just take you a minute

can you please tell me what does this equation imply?

Attachments

• equation.gif
    equation.gif
    366 bytes · Views: 386
why no body is helping :((
pleasezzzzz

becasue no one understand what is your question...can you post the whole paragraph instead of one sentence, or at least explain a little bit what is q, w and r means...I took a classical dynamics course last year and it did cover using matrix to solve this kind of problem... but i don't think you gave me enough information to help you...

that's all i am given. I don't know it myself, this is a computing problem that i need to understand to implement computational to calculate the localisation length.

basically we have a linear monoatomic chain. and we have a disorder like that, one atom with a different mass. the it is said

For the normalised eigenvectors q(wr) ‘localised’ modes may be thought of as those for which only a contiguous subset of the components of q(wr) are significantly different from zero

wr is just the eigen frequency, q is the coressponding eigen vector

in the equation qj(wr) is the j component of the eigen vector (i believe) then gamma is the localisation length. jd i don't know

we can see an exponential decay around the eigen vector, which indicate the localisation length is the decay constant. but what exactly this equation means i don't understand.

I heard that this is "anderson localisation" but i haven't found this equation anywhere else to find out more

please help

what textbook are you using... maybe i can rush to the library and take a look... hopefully can give u an answer by tomorrow

1. What are localized modes in a linear chain?

Localized modes refer to specific vibrational modes in a linear chain that are confined to a small region of the chain, rather than propagating throughout the entire chain. These modes can be caused by defects or impurities in the chain, or by nonlinearity in the chain's material.

2. How do localized modes affect the overall behavior of a linear chain?

Localized modes can significantly alter the behavior of a linear chain, as they can trap and transfer energy within a specific region of the chain. This can lead to phenomena such as energy localization, where energy is confined to a small region, or energy transport, where energy is transferred between localized modes.

3. What is the relationship between localized modes and the concept of localization?

Localization refers to the confinement of a wave or particle to a small region of space. In the case of linear chains, the presence of localized modes can lead to localization effects, where energy or vibrations are confined to specific regions of the chain. This can have important implications for the overall behavior of the chain.

4. How are localized modes studied and analyzed in linear chains?

Localized modes in linear chains can be studied using various techniques, such as numerical simulations, theoretical models, and experimental measurements. These methods allow scientists to analyze the vibrational properties and energy transfer processes of localized modes in detail.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding localized modes in linear chains?

Understanding localized modes in linear chains has potential applications in various fields, such as materials science, nanotechnology, and energy harvesting. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other systems, such as molecules and proteins, that exhibit similar localization effects.