T codes and other CNC Programming questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of M Codes and G Codes in CNC programming. The program being discussed does not follow the usual format of numbering each line and uses N1 and N2 as line numbers. T0000 and T0101 are used to select a tool and T0101 is specifically for tool 1 with a different offset. The use of N1 and N2 as sequence labels allows for a goto statement to jump to a specific part of the program. Finally, the purpose of T0000 and X0.0 Z0.0 commands is to park the machine, potentially for a tool change or at the end of a job.
phiby
I have learned M Codes and G Codes in CNC Programming.

I was looking at a programming and found some statements unfamiliar to me

This is how the program goes

N1 T0000;
G00 X0.0 Z0.0;
T0101;
N2 T0000;
G00 X0.0 Z0.0;
M30;

1) all the programs I have studied till date number each and every line
The above program doesn't do that. Is line numbering optional?
2) Line Numbers I have seen till now goes like NXXX - i.e. N005, N010 etc.
The above uses N1. Is this specific syntax for a particular brand of machine?
3) What is T0000 &T0101 - I have never come across this before?
The programs I have seen have a T01 in the first line - that's the only T word I have seen till now. T01 is selecting a tool T01.
I don't understand why someone would select tool T0000 go to X0.0 Y0.0 & then selected T0101.
i.e. What exactly was T0000 for - i.e you changed the tool after just 1 goto.
4) If N1 & N2 are line numbers, why have those 2 particular lines been numbered (as compared to other lines which haven't been labelled)

Till now, I haven't actually programmed on an actual machine - just reading from books.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks to me like the T0000 and X0 Z0 commands are being used to park the machine. For example, for a tool change in the first instance and at the end of the job in the second. (Think turret lathe - you wouldn't want to change the tool without clearing the job!)

T0101. I have used 2 controllers (Allen Bradley and Fanuc) that allow different offsets to be assigned to the same tool. T0101 is tool 1, offset 1. T0102 would be tool 1, offset 2. You might need one set for face/diameter cuts and another for concave radius cuts (tool clearance allowing). I have seen it called a wear offset.

N1 and N2 are probably being used as sequence labels to enable a goto statement to jump to that part of the program out of order. For instance, you might want to jump over a finish cut sequence while setting a roughing tool up. You could do this by temporarily programming a GOTO N2. I have not yet used a machine where line numbers were compulsory.

Last edited:

1. What are T codes in CNC programming?

T codes are specific commands used in CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programming to control the tool functions and movements of a machine. They are used to specify tool changes, tool offsets, coolant functions, and other control parameters.

2. How do T codes differ from M codes?

T codes are used to control the tool functions, while M codes are used to control the machine functions, such as turning on/off the spindle or coolant. T codes are specific to the tool, while M codes are universal for all machines.

3. What is the purpose of G codes in CNC programming?

G codes are used to control the movements and positions of the machine's axes. They are used to specify the tool path and coordinate movements, such as cutting depth and direction.

4. What is the difference between absolute and incremental programming?

Absolute programming specifies the exact coordinates for each movement, while incremental programming specifies the distance and direction of the movement from the previous position. Absolute programming is used for precise movements, while incremental programming is used for relative movements.

5. How can I troubleshoot common CNC programming errors?

Some common CNC programming errors include syntax errors, incorrect tool settings, and incorrect coordinate values. To troubleshoot these errors, it is important to carefully review the program code, check tool settings, and verify coordinate values. It may also be helpful to refer to the machine's manual or consult with a more experienced programmer.