Are Beta Particles Made of Electrons and Anti-Neutrinos?

In summary, a beta particle is composed of only an electron and is created during beta decay when a neutron changes into a proton. Along with the electron, an antineutrino is also released during beta decay. The interaction between the beta particle and antineutrino is mediated by the weak force, which results in the destruction and production of particles. This can be represented by a Feynman graph with a virtual particle called the W boson. However, the exact details of this interaction are still not fully understood.
Kartiky14
Does a Beta(?) Particle as a whole, comprise electrons and anti-neutrino?? or just a electron??

Physics news on Phys.org
A beta particle consists of only an electron, but beta decay also produces an (electron?) antineutrino. I think.

Ok..
Do you mean that the nuclear decay is further followed by the decay of the radioactive emission?

and yes, i would also like to know that, what do we mean when we say that
"A weak force exists between a antineutrino and a electron in a beta particle and they interact with the same weak force"

I want to know what this interaction is all about..?(What happens during such 'interactions'?)

I haven't studied the weak force very rigorously, so I can't answer your second, but the first, I don't think so. Beta decay releases two things: a beta particle (electron) and an antineutrino.

A beta particle is an electron. They're simply two different names for the same thing.

In beta decay, a neutron changes into a proton, and an electron (beta particle) and antineutrino are created. The electron and antineutrino do not exist before the decay, inside the neutron or elsewhere.

jtbell said:
A beta particle is an electron. They're simply two different names for the same thing.

In beta decay, a neutron changes into a proton, and an electron (beta particle) and antineutrino are created. The electron and antineutrino do not exist before the decay, inside the neutron or elsewhere.

Thanks!
Can you answer my second question about the beta particle and antineutrino interaction by weak forces??

Whovian said:
I haven't studied the weak force very rigorously, so I can't answer your second, but the first, I don't think so. Beta decay releases two things: a beta particle (electron) and an antineutrino.

Thanks man..! :D

Kartiky14 said:
(What happens during such 'interactions'?)
Particles get destroyed and produced. There is no deeper level here, they just can do this, and there are equations which allow to calculate this.
It can be shown as Feynman graph with a virtual particle (the W boson) in between, but I doubt that this is what you are looking for.

What are beta particles?

Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed electrons or positrons emitted by certain radioactive nuclei during the process of radioactive decay.

What is the composition of beta particles?

Beta particles have a composition of one electron or positron and a small amount of kinetic energy.

What is the charge of beta particles?

Beta particles have a negative charge, as they are essentially electrons or positrons.

What is the mass of beta particles?

Beta particles have a very small mass, approximately 1/2000th of the mass of a proton or neutron.

How are beta particles different from alpha particles and gamma rays?

Beta particles differ from alpha particles in that they have a lower mass and a higher speed. They differ from gamma rays in that they have a charge and a lower energy. All three types of radiation are emitted during radioactive decay and have different properties and effects.