Frame Dragging Explained: Dimensions, Schwarzschild Radius, Metrics & Angles

In summary, frame dragging is a phenomenon that can be observed in rotating galaxies and clusters, and it affects the clock rate of emitters in those systems.
eggman100
Can someone please explain to me (it can only be brief, I'll try to do the dirty work myself ^.^):

Frame dragging in terms of:

What is a frame, What are it's dimensions (2d/3d(x,y,z))

What does this have in relation to the Schwarzschild radius in terms of astrophysics;

With that answer, is it possible to use the metrics to work out the dragging of matter and space(/time) per second according to the mass and gravitational force of the black hole?

E.g. using the Kerr-Newman metric:

Can I use the metric to work out how much the mass would stretch from a distance of 5km, and how much more it would be stretched per 1km closer the object is to the center?

In terms of the metric, what does the angles mean? In the metric it shows E.g: dθ^2, what does this mean in terms of frame dragging?

Thank you for reading, I really need this to be answered by anyone who can! Please! :)

Thank you so much! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unfortunately I don't think it is easy enough to do for someone who hasn't been formally educated in GR and the prerequisite courses.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately I don't think it is easy enough to do for someone who hasn't been formally educated in GR and the prerequisite courses.

No I mean't, I just wanted a basic explanation, nothing hard, I just wanted to know short answers to my questions, no hardcore explanation =)

eggman100 said:
What does this have in relation to the Schwarzschild radius in terms of astrophysics;

With that answer, is it possible to use the metrics to work out the dragging of matter and space(/time) per second according to the mass and gravitational force of the black hole?

In the equatorial plane, the Schwarzschild boundary (2M) is in the same place as the outer boundary of the ergosphere for a spinning black hole. This remains unchanged regardless of how much spin the black hole has, this doesn't apply at the poles. the coordinate radius for the event horizon within the ergosphere reduces the greater the spin.

ergosphere (re)-

[tex]r_{e} = M + \sqrt{M^2 - a^2 \cos^2 \theta}[/tex]

where [itex]M=Gm/c^2,\ a=J/mc[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the plane angle (i.e. equatorial plane = 90 degrees)

the event horizon (r+) is-

[tex]r_{+} = M + \sqrt{M^2 - a^2}[/tex]Regarding the second question, the frame dragging rate as observed from infinity is-

[tex]\omega=\frac{2Mrac}{\Sigma^2}[/tex]
where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frame dragging rate in rads/s, [itex]\Sigma^2=(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta \sin^2\theta[/itex] and [itex]\Delta= r^{2}+a^{2}-2Mr[/itex]

For the local frame dragging rate, you multiply [itex]\omega[/itex] by the redshift [itex](\alpha)[/itex] where-

[tex]\alpha=\frac{\rho}{\Sigma}\sqrt{\Delta}[/tex]

where [itex]\rho=\sqrt{r^2+a^2 \cos^2\theta}[/itex]Source-
http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/users/mcamenzi/CObjects_06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the environment near black holes frame-dragging is also evident in rotating spiral galaxies and in dynamic galaxy clusters. Of course, the effects are less because the masses are less, but the effect is cumulative over the eons of galaxy/cluster formation. Here are some simplified statements about their evolution:

• The geometry of a rotating rigid disc, or that of a virialized rotating spiral galaxy, is not Euclidean because of the Lorentzian contraction.

• Identical clocks in a spiral galaxy run at different rates, depending on their location along the radius. A clock at the circumference runs more slowly than one at the center.

• Emitters that are accelerated or in a gravitational field have their wavelengths shifted according to the strength of that field. Emitters in a rotating system are subject to two accelerating fields: Centripetal and Coriolis.

• The inertial frame of the rotating galaxy is twisted by Lense-Thirring frame-dragging, an effect predicted by relativity, has been measured by the Gravity Probe B satellite.

• The total gravitating action created by the galaxy or cluster depends on its total energy, that is, the total ponderable energy plus the gravitational energy.

• The energy of the gravitational field itself contributes to the space-time curvature.

1. What is frame dragging in the context of relativity?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, in which a rotating massive object causes a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, dragging the space around it as it rotates. This results in a shift in the orientation of nearby objects, including light rays and other particles.

2. How many dimensions are involved in frame dragging?

In the context of general relativity, frame dragging occurs in the four dimensions of spacetime: three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. However, some theories suggest that there may be more than four dimensions in the universe, which could have an impact on the magnitude of frame dragging effects.

3. What is the Schwarzschild radius and how does it relate to frame dragging?

The Schwarzschild radius is the radius at which the escape velocity of an object (such as a black hole) exceeds the speed of light. In the context of frame dragging, the Schwarzschild radius plays a role in determining the magnitude of the frame dragging effect, as it is directly related to the mass and rotation of the object causing the distortion in spacetime.

4. How is frame dragging measured?

Frame dragging can be measured using instruments such as gyroscopes or lasers, which can detect the change in orientation caused by the distortion in spacetime. These measurements can then be used to calculate the strength of the frame dragging effect and validate the predictions of general relativity.

5. Are there any practical applications of frame dragging?

While frame dragging is primarily a theoretical concept, it has potential applications in areas such as space navigation and the study of black holes. For example, understanding the effects of frame dragging may be crucial for accurately predicting the trajectory of spacecraft in close proximity to massive rotating objects, such as planets or stars.