Do quarks temporarily lose mass when giving off gravitons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a quark giving off a graviton and the potential loss of mass for the quark. The conclusion is that the idea of the quark losing mass due to giving off a graviton is not supported by the Quantum Mechanics version of Conservation of Energy, and the existence of gravitons is uncertain.
YoWazzup
Imagine a quark, which has x mass. The quark gives off a graviton, which has y energy. My question is, before the graviton "snaps" back, would the quark lose mass equivalent to y energy?
That is,

xnew = xold - y

Where
xold is the mass of the quark,
xnew is the mass of the quark after giving off a graviton of y energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. You have apparently not studied the QM version of Conservation of Energy.

(Oh, and we're not sure Gravitons exist. Pretty much the same argument applies to Gluons, Photons, and W and Z bosons.

I haven't studied it; I'm not even out of my freshman year of high school. But you did give me something I might learn in my pass time. Thanks!

1. Do quarks temporarily lose mass when giving off gravitons?

Yes, according to current theories, quarks do temporarily lose mass when giving off gravitons. This is because the emission of gravitons, which are particles responsible for the force of gravity, requires energy and therefore can lead to a decrease in the mass of the quark.

2. How does the emission of gravitons affect the mass of a quark?

The emission of gravitons affects the mass of a quark by decreasing it momentarily. This is because the emission of gravitons requires energy, and according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy is equivalent to mass. Therefore, the energy used in the emission of gravitons leads to a decrease in the mass of the quark.

3. Can the mass of a quark be completely lost through the emission of gravitons?

No, the mass of a quark cannot be completely lost through the emission of gravitons. This is because the mass of a quark is an intrinsic property and cannot be completely eliminated. However, the emission of gravitons can lead to a temporary decrease in the mass of a quark.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of a quark?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the mass of a quark. For example, the interactions with other particles, such as gluons, can also lead to a temporary change in the mass of a quark. Additionally, the mass of a quark can also be affected by the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass.

5. How is the temporary loss of mass in quarks through graviton emission measured?

The temporary loss of mass in quarks through graviton emission is measured using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can study the resulting particles and their properties, including the mass of quarks. Additionally, theoretical calculations and simulations are also used to understand the effects of graviton emission on quark mass.