Is Horn-torus a valid genus-1 Riemann Surface?

In summary, a genus-1 Riemann surface is a one-dimensional complex manifold that can be represented by a torus. It must have a conformal structure equivalent to a torus and can include variations such as a horn-torus. These surfaces have various applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of complex functions, algebraic curves, and differential equations. They also provide insight into the topological properties of complex surfaces.
jackmell
The plot below is a horn torus. Is that a valid genus-1 normal Riemann surface? I believe it is but I'm just a novice. I'm unsure about the single point in the center and if it "technically" still has a hole in it. Maybe I need to review that.

Attachments

• horn torus.jpg
    horn torus.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,279
Physics news on Phys.org
A Riemann surface is, in particular, a 2 dimensional topological manifold. At the single point at the center, this space looks like 2 cones with their tips touching. Because of that, The horned torus is not a manifold and hence not a Riemann surface.

Ok, thanks.

1. What is a genus-1 Riemann surface?

A genus-1 Riemann surface is a type of surface in complex geometry that can be represented by a torus, also known as a doughnut shape. It is a one-dimensional complex manifold, meaning it is locally homeomorphic to the complex plane. In simpler terms, it is a surface with one hole.

2. What defines a valid genus-1 Riemann surface?

A genus-1 Riemann surface must have a complex structure that is conformally equivalent to a torus. This means that the surface must have a uniform structure that can be mapped to a torus without distorting its shape or angles.

3. Can a horn-torus be considered a valid genus-1 Riemann surface?

Yes, a horn-torus can be considered a valid genus-1 Riemann surface. It is a torus with a horn-like protrusion, but it still maintains the same conformal structure as a regular torus.

4. What are some real-world applications of genus-1 Riemann surfaces?

Genus-1 Riemann surfaces have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study complex functions, algebraic curves, and differential equations. They also have applications in string theory and quantum mechanics.

5. How are genus-1 Riemann surfaces related to the study of topology?

Genus-1 Riemann surfaces are closely related to the study of topology, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of geometric objects that are preserved through deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. Riemann surfaces provide a way to visualize and understand the topological properties of complex surfaces.