How does light affect our internal clock and influence wakefulness?

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
In summary: The answer to the question is that it doesn't matter where the photons hit the body, they have to hit the eyes for it to work. However, in some cases, like with blind people, the photons still hit the eyes even if the person is not awake.
robertjford80
Photons hit our eyes or bodies which activate a certain hormone which causes us to wake up. Does anyone know if the photons have to hit your eye or your body?

Biology news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
Not that I am aware of. There was a time that anti-jetlag devices were sold that were placed in the knee pit, but I'd be interested to know whether they really work. A clue comes from people who are blind, the publications I have seen report that they have free-running circadian periods.

About blind people, I mean photons hitting your closed eyelids

robertjford80 said:
About blind people, I mean photons hitting your closed eyelids

What do you mean? Light still penetrates the eye when the eyelids are closed.

Blind people have eyes, they just don't work, unless they've been gouged out which is very rare. So what point are you trying to make then with blind people?

Think for one second. Your question was: "Does anyone know if the photons have to hit your eye or your body?".

If blind people have problems waking up, do you think their body is important or their eyes? Also, do you think it is having eyes that is important or having visually functional eyes?

Here's what I originally read, I decided to track it down. This comes from the Harvard Medical Guide to Sleep

light, focused on the back of the eye, can be used to reset the internal clock and treat circadian rhythm disorders such as jet lag

Somehow the first part of the sentence got cut off, so I'll have to look at the original book to see what got cut off but that's at home.

What are the different mechanisms for waking you up?

There are several mechanisms that can wake someone up, including natural body rhythms, external stimuli, and alarm clocks. Natural body rhythms, such as the circadian rhythm, can cause you to naturally wake up at a certain time every day. External stimuli, such as noise or light, can also wake you up. And of course, the most common mechanism is the use of an alarm clock.

How does the circadian rhythm affect waking up?

The circadian rhythm is the internal clock that regulates our sleep-wake cycle. It is influenced by daylight and darkness, and is responsible for making us feel sleepy at night and alert in the morning. When the circadian rhythm is disrupted, it can cause difficulty waking up in the morning.

Do alarm clocks have a negative impact on our sleep?

Alarm clocks can have a negative impact on our sleep if they are used improperly. If an alarm goes off in the middle of a deep sleep cycle, it can disrupt the natural sleep process and make us feel groggy and unrested. It is important to set alarms for a time when our bodies are in a lighter stage of sleep.

What is the best way to wake up feeling refreshed?

The best way to wake up feeling refreshed is to get enough sleep and wake up naturally without an alarm. This allows our bodies to complete a full sleep cycle and wake up when the time is right for our individual circadian rhythm. If using an alarm, setting it for a time when we are in a lighter stage of sleep can also help us feel more refreshed.

Can certain foods or drinks help with waking up?

Certain foods and drinks, such as caffeine, can provide a temporary boost of energy to help with waking up. However, it is important to not rely on these substances and to maintain a healthy sleep schedule to ensure proper rest and waking up feeling refreshed.