Torque and rotational kinetic energy

In summary, the rock is whirled for 5 seconds and it achieves a near horizontal orbit at 120 rpm. The torque required to achieve this is 2.8 Nm.
BERNIE649
This is problem from a textbook whose solution I don't understand.

A small rock of mass 0.5kg is attached to a 1.5m string, then it is whirled for 5 seconds until it achieves a near horizontal orbit at 120 rpm. What is the torque required?

I used the equation : τ=Iα (moment of inertia x angular acceleration) giving an answer of 2.8 Nm or Joules. This is the book's answer.

My question is, why I don't get the same answer with the formula for rotational kinetic energy
E_k=1/2 Iω^2 which gives 177 Nm.

Both formulas have the same units of Nm or energy. Why the energy used to impart the motion is not the same as the kinetic energy stored in the moving mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the point of view of units, both torque and kinetic energic carry the Nm tag. However, their meanings are vastly different; that´s why an energy is given in Joules and a torque in Nm. You've just compared apples to oranges

Torque isn't exactly a measure of energy. While the two quantities have the same dimensions, they aren't obtained in the same way: radians are treated as dimensionless, so ω2 has dimensions [T]-2, which happens to coincide with the dimensions of dω/dt = α

To illustrate the difference, consider a wheel spinning at a constant rate. The rotational kinetic energy is non-zero, but there is no torque on the wheel (so the torque is zero).

Thank you Cauchyam and Gordianus for your help.

I still have some questions. In the problem in question supposing the mass continues swinging around with no friction. If I want to calculate its energy, is it correct to apply the rotational kinetic energy formula, and would also be valid to say that that was the same amount of energy used to bring it from rest to its current rotation?

If I want to calculate its energy, is it correct to apply the rotational kinetic energy formula
Yes
and would also be valid to say that that was the same amount of energy used to bring it from rest to its current rotation?
Correct.

And here you can see the relation between kinetic energy and angular momentum: The 2.8Nm were applied while the rock made 5 rotations* with a total angle of 10pi. And 2.8Nm*10pi=88J. I get the same value for the kinetic energy.

* 0/s at t=0, 2/s at t=5s, with constant acceleration, gives 5 rotations

Thank you mfb.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to rotational kinetic energy?

Torque is directly related to rotational kinetic energy. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate and thus increases its rotational kinetic energy. On the other hand, when a torque is removed, the rotational kinetic energy decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. The unit for torque is Newton-meter (N-m) in the SI system.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the rotation, causing the object to slow down or rotate in the opposite direction.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis, while linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a straight line. The main difference is the direction of motion, as rotational kinetic energy is dependent on the object's rotational motion around an axis, while linear kinetic energy is dependent on the object's linear motion in a straight line.