Flow Rate in Tank 2: Same as Q /min?

In summary, the conversation discussed two tanks that were placed, with tank one at a higher level and tank two at a lower level. It was mentioned that a pump with a flow rate of Q ml/min was affixed to tank two. The question arose of whether the flow rate in tank two would be the same as Q/ml. The conclusion was that the flow rate in tank two would indeed be the same as the flow rate of the pump, as the total amount of water in both tanks would remain constant in a closed system. The conversation then delved into the practical implications of this scenario and how to approach calculations for similar problems.
hamshie.k
two tanks were placed. tank one at a higher level and other(tank 2) at lower level. But in tank 2 a pump of flow rate Q ml/min is affixed.what is the flow rate in tank 2. Same as Q /min?

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi hamshie.k! welcome to pf! :smile:
hamshie.k said:
two tanks were placed. tank one at a higher level and other(tank 2) at lower level. But in tank 2 a pump of flow rate Q ml/min is affixed.what is the flow rate in tank 2. Same as Q /min?

?? :confused:

what exactly is the whole question?

tank 1 is placed above the level of tank 2. the water flows into tank 2 by the gravitational force from tank 1. But from thank 2 a pump is fixed to suck the water and again pump it into the tank 1.

the question is whether the tank 2 will have the same flow rate of the pump, at the top surface of the tank??

hamshie.k said:
… But from thank 2 a pump is fixed to suck the water and again pump it into the tank 1.

ahh!

ok, tell us what you think, and why, and then we'll comment! :smile:

A pump is placed in the top level surface of the tank 2. at a suction end . delivered to tank 1

(yes, i know, but) tell us what you think the answer is :smile:

same as the flow rate of the pump. i need that condition

hamshie.k said:
same as the flow rate of the pump.

correct :smile:

but why? (eg, is anything conserved, ie the same?)

No external force applied

forget the physics, just look at the material …

the total amount of water is the same (W1 + W2 = constant),

so W1' + W2' = 0 :wink:

Is it not possible that the pump in T2 can pump the water to T1 faster then T1 flows into T2?

Avis said:
Is it not possible that the pump in T2 can pump the water to T1 faster then T1 flows into T2?

if it's a closed system, where all the water has to be either in T1 or in T2 (or in the pipe between them, which we can assume is always full),

then the water lost by T2 has to equal the water gained by T1

Fair, I was thinking in a more practical way.

tiny-tim said:
if it's a closed system, where all the water has to be either in T1 or in T2 (or in the pipe between them, which we can assume is always full),

then the water lost by T2 has to equal the water gained by T1

Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong, but if you let water drain from T1 through a 3" hose and have a pump in T2 with a 1/8" discharge line back to T1, you will not have equal flow through the tanks. They may eventually reach a level of system equillibrium, but the flow rates need not be the same...If the pump is at the surface of the water and drawing from only the head (water level) in T2, then your flow rate will be based on the pump characteristics, not the flow through the gravity line.

Unless you mean tank T2 is fully filled, then obviously the only amount of water that could flow "into" it would be the amount that is flowing "out" to T1.

Please anyone help me . how i should start calculations for these kind of problems.

1. gravity flow from tank one to tank 2(i am planning to analyse for the tank placed below the level of tank 1 and also for the same level tanks)

2. pump calculations from tank 2 to tank 1

I don't know how to start the problem??

whether i should start from friction losses and benoulli eqn.
i have the flow rate of the pump(peristaltic pump). please guide me what are the calculations i need regarding this??

1. How is the flow rate in Tank 2 related to the flow rate in Tank 1?

The flow rate in Tank 2 is the same as the flow rate in Tank 1, as indicated by the equation Q2 = Q1 /min. This means that the amount of liquid flowing into Tank 2 per unit time is equal to the amount of liquid flowing out of Tank 1 per unit time.

2. What factors affect the flow rate in Tank 2?

The flow rate in Tank 2 is primarily affected by the size of the opening through which the liquid flows, the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the tank, and the properties of the liquid itself (such as viscosity and density).

3. How can the flow rate in Tank 2 be measured?

The flow rate in Tank 2 can be measured using a flow meter, which measures the volume of liquid passing through a specific point per unit time. Other methods include using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for a certain volume of liquid to flow out of Tank 2, or using the equation Q = A * v, where A is the cross-sectional area of the opening and v is the velocity of the liquid.

4. Are there any potential issues with maintaining a constant flow rate in Tank 2?

Yes, there are potential issues that can affect the flow rate in Tank 2. These include changes in the pressure or temperature of the liquid, clogs or blockages in the opening, and changes in the properties of the liquid itself. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the system to ensure a consistent flow rate.

5. How does the flow rate in Tank 2 impact the overall system?

The flow rate in Tank 2 is an important factor in the overall functioning of the system. It affects the rate at which the liquid is transferred from Tank 1 to Tank 2, which in turn affects the levels and pressures in both tanks. A consistent and appropriate flow rate is necessary for the system to operate effectively and efficiently.