Gas Strut - Damping coeff and spring constant

In summary, the engineer is trying to figure out the damping coefficient for a gas strut. He suspects it is high, but doesn't know the value. He hopes someone else can help him.
Maurk
Hello everyone,
I'm an engineering student and I have to "size" a gas strut (i.e. spring+damper) to model a trunk lid opening mechanism.
I have a problem: on every "datasheet" (something like this http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/components/variable-force-gas-struts.php) only forces and dimensions are written but there's nothing about damping coefficent and spring constant.
So, I would like to ask you if someone could tell me some approximated possible damping coefficent and spring constant values or how to obtain them from a datasheet.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maurk: Perhaps try here. E.g., for part number V06AAA0400, s = full stroke = 50 mm, P1 = initial force = 400 N, and P2 = final force = 1.2*P1 = 480 N. Therefore, spring constant is k = (P2 - P1)/s = (480 - 400)/50 = 1.60 N/mm. Therefore, when strut displacement is delta = 25 mm, the strut force would be P = P1 + k*delta = (400 N) + (1.60 N/mm)(25 mm) = 440 N.

I currently suspect the viscous damping coefficient is relatively high, and that the strut is perhaps overdamped (zeta > 1), or only slightly underdamped (zeta > 0.7). But I do not know the damping coefficient. I hope someone else reading this forum can give you a very rough estimate of the viscous damping coefficient (c), or the viscous damping factor (zeta).

Last edited:
This has some information on damping (some of the brochure is in German but the diagrams are labelled in English). See page 7.

http://www.stabilus.com/fileadmin/docs/deutsch/Printmaterial/Prospekte_allgemein/Standardprogramm_2010_niedrig.pdf

The damping force (FR on the diagram) is effectively constant and independent of velocity, so trying to come up with equivalent viscous damping coefficient isn't very useful. A model of the dynamics is like a mass-on-a-spring, with the mass sliding on a table with a constant friction force whose direction is opposite to the velocity of the mass.

When the mass is moving in one direction, the equation of motion is ##Mx'' + Kx = +F## and in the other direction it is ##Mx'' + Kx = -F## where ##F## is a constant force (not proportional to velocity, like a viscous damping force).

The motion is a sequence of undamped half-cycles of simple harmonic motion, with the amplitude of each cycle reducing by a constant amount when the damping force changes direction.

The equations of motion above don't have a unique equilibium position. The mass can stop at any position where ##|Kx| <= F##, i.e. at any position x where that the magnitude of the spring force ##Kx## is less than the "dynamic friction force" ##F##.

For a real gas damper, the system usually "creeps" to the equilibrium position where ##F = 0## after it stops oscillating, but trying to model that final stage of the motion isn't of much practical interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apprecitate your time and effort. Thank you everyone. I will use your suggestions.

[itex]p\cdot V^{n}=p_0\cdot V^n_0=constant \\ \frac{p}{p_0}=(\frac{V_0}{V})^n \\ F(s) --> \int_{0}^{F} dF = A \cdot \int_{p0}^{p} dp \\ F=A\cdot p_0 (\frac{p}{p_0}-1) \\ F(s)=A\cdot p_0\cdot ((\frac{h}{h-s})^n -1) \\ c(s)=\frac{dF}{ds} = \frac{A\cdot dp}{ds}=\frac{A^2\cdot dp}{dV} [/itex]

with some more integration we get
[itex]c(s)=\frac{A\cdot p\cdot n}{h-s} [/itex]

p=pressure
V=volume
h=height of cylinder
s=h-current height of cylinder
A=area of cylinder pushing on the gas
n=polytropic constant

also found this on the german wikipedia
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasdruckfeder
i don't know german that well to get anything useful off this but try using google translate maybe it can help.

What is a gas strut?

A gas strut, also known as a gas spring, is a type of mechanical component that uses compressed gas to provide controlled motion and support. It consists of a cylinder filled with gas and a piston that moves inside the cylinder, creating a force that can be used to lift, lower, or hold objects in place.

What is damping coefficient?

The damping coefficient of a gas strut refers to the level of resistance or friction that the strut provides against movement. It is a measure of how much the strut dampens or absorbs the energy of the motion. A higher damping coefficient means more resistance and slower movement, while a lower damping coefficient allows for faster motion.

What is spring constant?

The spring constant of a gas strut measures the stiffness or flexibility of the spring inside the strut. It is a measure of how much force is required to compress or extend the spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the strut is stiffer and requires more force to move, while a lower spring constant means it is more flexible and requires less force.

How do damping coefficient and spring constant affect the performance of a gas strut?

The damping coefficient and spring constant work together to determine the overall behavior and performance of a gas strut. A higher damping coefficient and spring constant will provide more resistance and slower movement, while a lower damping coefficient and spring constant will allow for faster movement. The specific values of these parameters should be chosen based on the desired application and the weight and motion of the object being supported.

What are some common applications of gas struts?

Gas struts are commonly used in various industries and applications, including automotive, aerospace, furniture, medical equipment, and more. They are often used for lifting and lowering heavy objects, such as hoods and trunk lids in cars, seats and tables in airplanes, and hospital beds. They can also be used to hold objects in specific positions, such as opening and closing doors or hatches.