Fast and powerful motor needed BUT it needs to be small

• Thread starter shaan121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the author is trying to come up with an invention that needs a fast and powerful motor, but it needs to be small and flat. He has had some luck with a hybrid stepper motor, the Tamagawa TS3218, but is not sure if it will have enough speed or torque. He is also looking for an invention that can shoot a wet stringy material up to 30 feet. A possible solution would be to imbed your string in a water jet.
shaan121
Fast and powerful motor needed BUT it needs to be small!

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make an invention of my own but for this i need a fast and powerful motor but it has to be very flat and small something that can be attached to the arm. Any suggestions of such a motor. I've had some luck with a hybrid stepper motor, Tamagawa's TS3218, but I'm not sure if it will have enough speed or torque for my invention.

HELP?!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, Shaan.
I probably can't help you, but I'm sure that many of us who might try would like a bit more information. We don't want you to divulge anything that would compromise a future patent application, but your question is a bit vague. For instance, in what manner does the motor have to be attached to "the arm"? What, in fact, is "the arm"? Is this to be from mains or a battery? (I know that the 3218 is 5 or 12 VDC, but that can be from either source.)

Well I am basically trying to recreate the spiderman string shooter for a personal project. For this I thought I would use a motor and wrap a string around it, however I have just thought of making something that can become pressurized and cause maybe a sticky nylon material to be shot off. In both cases I need a small but powerful motor that can be attached to the arm but is light enough to carry.

Shooting string for more than a few feet is not limited by the motor, but by the air drag on the string being extended.
A possible solution would be to imbed your string in a water jet, that would give you a good impulse and save you having to invent a mechanical string shooter.

I actually designed a set of web-shooters about 30 years ago. (Huge Spidey fan. :redface:)
It never crossed my mind to use motors, though. Mine used Crossman CO2 cartridges.

I want to design a mechanical one, just like one spiderman has. However I am going tobe hopefully creating a couple of try outs of other ideas before I go for my last one. I need to be able to shoot a string from up to 20 to 30, thanks for the CO2 Cartridge Idea I think that maybe the way forward in this project danger. Still need an Idea that will shoot a wet stringy material up to 30 feet.

Here is the official version of the web-shooters, as drawn by Marvel Comics artists.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/officialwebshooters.png/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9944/officialwebshooters.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The very first version was a rubber bulb like an ear-wax syringe that squirted out rubber cement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whow this is amazing, this is exactly what I needed thank you Danger, anymore good ides on this?

Well, the Marvel explanation is that the web fluid is a sheer-thinning material. Ie: it is liquid under pressure, and solidifies when released.
I don't really want to expand too much upon mine for two reasons. One is that I never actually built the thing due to a couple of obstacles that I didn't bother to sort out. (I have ADD big-time, so I tend to lose interest in projects.) I therefore do not know for sure whether or not it would work. It was based upon the interface polymerization of nylon 6-10. Three .75mm strands thereof would be ejected twisting around each other at a couple of hundred rpm, with a stream of Super Glue 3 squirted up the middle.
Aside from the parts that I didn't work out (such as purging the interface chamber between firings, and the need to wear Teflon gloves), I also designed it to be lethal. Closeup anti-mugging device, with about a 3 metre range.

1. What type of power source is needed for a small but powerful motor?

A small but powerful motor can be powered by various sources such as batteries, electricity, or even compressed air.

2. Can a small motor still be efficient and powerful?

Yes, advancements in motor technology have allowed for smaller motors to be just as efficient and powerful as larger ones.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size for a fast and powerful motor?

The size of the motor needed will depend on the specific application and the amount of power required. It is best to consult with a motor expert for guidance.

4. Are there any trade-offs between size and speed/power for a motor?

In general, smaller motors will have less power and speed compared to larger ones. However, with advancements in technology, smaller motors can still be powerful and fast, but may come at a higher cost.

5. What are the benefits of using a small motor rather than a larger one?

Using a smaller motor can save space, energy, and reduce costs. It can also provide more flexibility in design and application compared to larger motors.