Calculating Probability of Winning with Gambling Game

In summary, to find the probability of having between 93 to 107 dollars after 10 rounds in a gambling game where you can win 1$ with probability 0.6 or lose 2$ with probability 0.4, you can simplify the randomness and use a binomial distribution. First, determine the number of losses needed to yield an expected gain between -7 and +7. Then, treat it as a binomial probability problem and sum the relevant probabilities.
wuid
In a gambling game , you can win 1$ in each round with probability 0.6 or lose 2$ in probability 0.4. suppose you start with 100$.
find the probability that after 10 rounds you have between 93 to 107 dollars.

i am not sure how to start the solution,

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one obvious, though not necessarily efficient, method is to determine all possible "walks" that end up between 93 and 107. A bit more efficient method might be to enumerate walks that put you outside that interval since there appear to be fewer of those. The probability you are inside the interval is, of course, 1 minus the probability you are outside.

Note that the order in which you win or lose is irrelevant.

wuid said:
In a gambling game , you can win 1$ in each round with probability 0.6 or lose 2$ in probability 0.4. suppose you start with 100$.

thanks,

It might be a bit easier to simplify the "randomness" as follows: assume that in each play you always start by losing $2; then you gain an additional $0 with probability 0.4 or an additional $3 with probability 0.6. In 10 rounds you will have [itex]D = 100 - 20 + 3S[/itex] dollars, where [itex]S = \sum_{i=1}^{10} X_i,[/itex] and the [itex]X_i[/itex] are iid random variables with distribution P{X=0} = 4/10, P{X=1} = 6/10. What limits on S give D between 93 and 107?

RGV

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Well, one obvious, though not necessarily efficient, method is to determine all possible "walks" that end up between 93 and 107. A bit more efficient method might be to enumerate walks that put you outside that interval since there appear to be fewer of those. The probability you are inside the interval is, of course, 1 minus the probability you are outside.

Note that the order in which you win or lose is irrelevant.

No, I count fewer possibilities that put the expected gain between -7 and +7 inclusive. That's between 1 and 5 losses inclusive, which is 5 possibilities.

The complementary set would have 6 possibilities (0 losses and 6 to 10 inclusive). That's more work.

wuid said:

thanks,

First work out how many losses will yield an expected gain between -7 and +7 inclusive. This can be done by solving a simple pair of simultaneous equations (or one equation and one inequality).

Then treat it as a Binomial probability problem and just sum the relevant probabilities.

Ray Vickson said:
It might be a bit easier to simplify the "randomness" as follows: assume that in each play you always start by losing $2; then you gain an additional $0 with probability 0.4 or an additional $3 with probability 0.6. In 10 rounds you will have [itex]D = 100 - 20 + 3S[/itex] dollars, where [itex]S = \sum_{i=1}^{10} X_i,[/itex] and the [itex]X_i[/itex] are iid random variables with distribution P{X=0} = 4/10, P{X=1} = 6/10. What limits on S give D between 93 and 107?

RGV

so S is a binomal variable with n=10 , p=0.6 and i left to find P([itex]5\leq S \leq 9[/itex]) ?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of how likely an event is to occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty. In gambling, probability is used to calculate the chances of winning a game.

How is probability calculated in gambling?

In gambling, probability is calculated by dividing the number of ways an event can occur by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if a game has a 1 in 10 chance of winning, the probability would be 1/10 or 0.1.

What factors affect the probability of winning in a gambling game?

The probability of winning in a gambling game can be affected by various factors such as the rules of the game, the number of players, and the number of rounds played. It can also be influenced by the skill level of the players and any strategies or techniques used.

How can probability be used to improve chances of winning in a gambling game?

Probability can be used to improve chances of winning in a gambling game by understanding the odds and making informed decisions. By calculating the probability of winning, players can determine if a game is worth playing and adjust their strategies accordingly.

Is probability the only factor to consider in gambling?

No, probability is not the only factor to consider in gambling. Other factors such as luck, risk, and personal preferences may also play a role in the outcome of a gambling game. It is important to keep in mind that while probability can increase the chances of winning, it does not guarantee a win.