Using a Squirrel Cage Motor in an Induction Generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a household motor to construct an induction generator. The individual asks for clarification on the type of motor needed and how to determine if their motor is suitable for this project. The conversation also mentions the use of external capacitors and the need to spin the motor at a specific speed for maximum output.
dragonlucian
I'm not sure whether to post here or EE forum, if it is better suited there, please advise/assist in moving it.

I'm familiar enough with Induction, though not practiced in the formulae describing it. I recently came into need of an AC generator and thought there has to be some useful household items I could use to construct one without having to wind a bunch of coils. I did a Google search for Induction Generator and came up with this page:

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

First off, Is this correct? Second the motor I'm looking at doesn't appear to have the same cylindrical casing as just about ever image I've seen Google image searching "squirrel cage motor". The one I have comes from an older Kenmore Dryer. It looks like this one:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor/W10396039/2304840

Is this a different style of motor? I've been trying to find ways to identify one from another, and not much luck besides descriptions where I'd need to dismantle it to really tell. It does appear similar, but not exactly like a few pictures of "Universal Motor" types I've seen. So how do I determine which it is, and would it be possible to use this type in an Induction Generator utilizing the same basic principals, attaching to a small gas powered engine, providing some simple circuit (like the capacitor/chains noted in the first link), and winding up with a 120/240v AC generator?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the motor has brushes, and windings on the rotor it is probably NOT an induction motor.
Very few induction motors do have a wound armature, which is connected through brushes to external variable resistors, in order to control torque.

Under full load an induction motor runs at about 5% below synchronous speed. Look at the speed and frequency specified on the motor specification plate to identify the slip %.

The frequency generated will be when the external capacitors are resonant with the winding inductance of the motor. To generate, the motor must be spun at above the resonant = synchronous speed. The motor will need to be driven about 5% faster than synchronous speed for maximum output as a generator.

1. What is a squirrel cage motor?

A squirrel cage motor is an induction motor that is commonly used in industrial settings. It is called a squirrel cage motor because its rotor resembles a squirrel cage with conductors arranged in a circular fashion.

2. How does a squirrel cage motor work?

A squirrel cage motor works by using the principle of induction, where a rotating magnetic field from the stator induces a current in the conductors of the rotor, causing it to rotate. The speed of the motor is determined by the frequency of the power supply and the number of poles in the stator.

3. Can a squirrel cage motor be used as an induction generator?

Yes, a squirrel cage motor can be used as an induction generator by applying a mechanical force to the rotor to rotate it. This causes the rotor to act as the prime mover, generating electrical energy that can be fed back into the power grid.

4. What are the advantages of using a squirrel cage motor in an induction generator?

One of the main advantages of using a squirrel cage motor in an induction generator is its simple design and low maintenance requirements. It also has a high starting torque and can operate at variable speeds, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a squirrel cage motor in an induction generator?

One limitation of using a squirrel cage motor in an induction generator is that it can only generate electricity when its rotor is rotated by an external force. It also has a limited voltage regulation capability, which may require additional equipment for certain applications.