Can anyone recommend a good calculus review?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is facing in their statistical mechanics class, particularly with the math involved. They mention using the textbook Thermodynamics and an intro to thermostatics by Callen and needing a review of basic calculus concepts. They also mention struggling with taking the derivative of a sum and finding the specific heat at constant volume. Another person in the conversation recommends studying Hilbert & Courant and Arfken for calculus.
pt176900
I am taking statistical mechanics this quarter, using the textbook Thermodynamics and an intro to thermostatics by Callen.

The math in the derivations is from calculus, which I had 4 years ago and didn't really put all that much effort into.

Consequently, I need a solid review of some basic mathematics (and by basic I mean calculus :-p)

For instance, I have no clue how to take the derivative of a sum, containing terms such as (ln(1-e^-Bx))
F = Kb T sum(ln(1-e^-Bhw))
where B is the boltzman factor, h is h bar and w is omega (the frequency).
then I have no clue how to go from there to Cv = dU/dT
U = d/dB(BF)

a grim situation indeed

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=5

Scroll down until the "info on the web-entry"

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
pt176900 said:
I am taking statistical mechanics this quarter, using the textbook Thermodynamics and an intro to thermostatics by Callen.

The math in the derivations is from calculus, which I had 4 years ago and didn't really put all that much effort into.

Consequently, I need a solid review of some basic mathematics (and by basic I mean calculus :-p)

For instance, I have no clue how to take the derivative of a sum, containing terms such as (ln(1-e^-Bx))
F = Kb T sum(ln(1-e^-Bhw))
where B is the boltzman factor, h is h bar and w is omega (the frequency).
then I have no clue how to go from there to Cv = dU/dT
U = d/dB(BF)

a grim situation indeed

That's weird...It means you're using another (certainly newer) version of Callen. :eek: The one i knew didn't have statistical mechanics.It is a very good book on thermodynamics (in its first edition it was the first to give a reasonable treatment of neogibbsian formulation of (equilibrium) thermodynamics) and i strongly recconmend you study it...
As for calculus,i'd still go for Hilbert & Courant and Arfken...

Daniel.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the understanding of rates of change, accumulation, and the slope of curves.

2. Why is a calculus review necessary?

A calculus review is necessary to refresh one's understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques used in calculus. It can also help improve problem-solving skills and prepare for more advanced courses.

3. How can I find a good calculus review?

There are many resources available for a good calculus review, including textbooks, online courses, and practice problems. It is important to choose a resource that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you need to review.

4. How long does it take to review calculus?

The length of time it takes to review calculus will vary depending on your current understanding and how thorough of a review you want. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on your pace and level of dedication.

5. Can you recommend a specific calculus review?

As a scientist, I cannot recommend a specific calculus review as I am not familiar with all available resources. However, I would suggest researching and comparing different options to find one that best suits your needs.