How Can Proving Inequalities Help in Understanding Mathematical Concepts?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: Then, for the second question, you can use the result from the first question (since the coefficients of the x^2 terms are positive) to prove Schwarz's Inequality. In summary, by rewriting the expression ax^2 + 2bx + c and using the given conditions, it can be proven that the expression is always greater than or equal to 0. Then, by using this result and the given expression, Schwarz's Inequality can be proven.
courtrigrad
Hello all:

Show that if [tex] a > 0 [/tex], [tex] ax^2 + 2bx + c \geq 0 [/tex] for all values of x if and only if [tex] b^2 - ac \leq 0 [/tex]. Ok so I rewrote [tex] ax^2 + 2bx + c [/tex] as [tex] a(x+ \frac{b}{a})^2 + \frac{ac-b^2}{a} [/tex] Now how would I work with this expression?

Also if you are given [tex] (a_1x + b_1)^2 + (a_2x + b_2)^2 + ... + (a_nx + b_n)^2 [/tex] how would you prove Schwarz's Inequaliity? Would it be:

Schwarz's Inequality

[tex] (a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + ... + a_nb_n)^2 \leq (a_1^2 + ... + a_n^2)(b_1^2+...+b_n^2) [/tex]

So [tex] (a_1x^2 + 2a_1xb_1 + b_1^2) + (a_2x^2 + 2a_2x + b_2^2) + (a_nx^2 + 2a_nxb_n + b_n^2) [/tex]. So factoring we have [tex] x^2(a_1+a_2+ ... + a_n) + 2x(a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + ... + a_nb_n) + (b_1^2 + b_2^2 + ... + b_n^2) [/tex] Now how would I prove Schwarz's inequality from here?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] a(x+ \frac{b}{a})^2 + \frac{ac-b^2}{a} \geq 0 ~ for~all~x [/tex]

Theifirst term is clearly a positive number but will be zero only when x = -b/a. So, if the second term were negative, the sum would be negaitve for some values of x (in particular, for x = -b/a). This is not allowed. Hence, the second term must be ...

the second term must be positive or this implies that [tex] b^2 - ac \leq 0 [/tex]

is my approach to the second question correct?

Thanks

The question requires you to prove the converse too ("if, and only if"). But this is just working backwards along the same steps, and is trivial to do.

Looking at #2 now...

Yor approach here is correct. You seem to have made one small error, though.

Starting from [tex] (a_1x + b_1)^2 + (a_2x + b_2)^2 + ... + (a_nx + b_n)^2 \geq 0[/tex]

you should get

[tex] x^2(a_1^2+a_2^2+ ... + a_n^2) + 2x(a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + ... + a_nb_n) + (b_1^2 + b_2^2 + ... + b_n^2) \geq 0[/tex]

Now use the result you proved in #1 (since the coefficient of the x^2 term is positive), and you are home.

ok I got it!

Thanks a lot Gokul

I just used the fact that [tex] b^2 - ac \leq 0 [/tex]

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and shows that one quantity is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other quantity. It is denoted by the symbols >, <, or ≠.

How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that it holds true for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing.

What are the different types of inequalities?

The three main types of inequalities are greater than (>), less than (<), and not equal to (≠). These can also be combined to form compound inequalities, such as greater than or equal to (≥) and less than or equal to (≤).

What is the importance of proving an inequality?

Proving an inequality is important because it allows us to compare and order quantities, make predictions, and solve real-world problems. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different numbers and variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality include not considering all possible cases, making incorrect assumptions, and not using the correct notation. It is important to be precise and thorough when proving an inequality to ensure the validity of the statement.