Calculate approximately G-force applied on Car shock absorber

In summary, the person needs to calculate the maximum applied G-force on 4 accelerometers placed on a car's wheels before the shock absorber. They are looking for an approximate value and are not taking into account the type of wheel or air pressure. They provide two scenarios, one with a steady speed of 110km/h and a bump height of 5cm, and another with a steady speed of 50km/h and a bump height of 30cm. They mention using a regular spring to calculate acceleration and dividing the final value by 9.8m/s^2, but are concerned about the accuracy of their calculation. They ask for help on how to calculate this correctly, noting that the rise/run ratio of the bumps
ELEFANTOMET
I have to do some dataacquisition from a car with some accelerometers.

4 accelerometers is placed on the wheels before the shock absorber. And i need to calculate the maximum applied G-force on the accelerometers.

Just an approximately value, not taking in account the type of wheel, airpressure in wheel etc.

Scenario 1:
Steady speed of the car driving on normal tarmac is 110km/h.
Weight of car is 2000kg
The car is driving over a small bump with a height of 5cm

Scenario 2:
Steady speed is 50km/h
Weight 2000kg
The car is driving over a regular speedbump, approximately height of 30cm

Seeing the bump on the wheel as if was a regular spring, i would calculate acceleration from
A=5cm
ω=sqrt(k/m) (not knowing the spring constant, i just took some samples from 0-500Hz as a value, what's realistic here?)
a=-ω^2*A*cos(ω*t)
with a.max being -ω^2*A

and then divide final max acceleration with 9.8m/s^2. But this seem to give me abnorm large value of g-force.

Any help, to how to calculate this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rise/run ratio of your bumps will have some determination of your G force.
A slightly sloped bump gives less G force than a sharp bump, due to Ft.

A 30 cm bump - this is a regular sped bump height?

1. What is G-force and why is it important for car shock absorbers?

G-force is a unit of measurement for acceleration, specifically the force of gravity acting on an object. It is important for car shock absorbers because they are designed to absorb the impact of a vehicle's movement and distribute it evenly, reducing the G-forces experienced by passengers.

2. How is G-force calculated on a car shock absorber?

G-force on a car shock absorber can be calculated by dividing the weight of the vehicle by the spring rate of the shock absorber. This will give you the G-force experienced by the shock absorber at its maximum compression.

3. What factors can affect the G-force applied on a car shock absorber?

There are several factors that can affect the G-force applied on a car shock absorber, including the weight and speed of the vehicle, the condition and type of road surface, and the quality and design of the shock absorber itself.

4. How can I tell if my car shock absorbers are experiencing too much G-force?

If your car is bouncing excessively or experiencing a rough ride, this could be an indication that your shock absorbers are experiencing too much G-force. It is important to have them inspected and possibly replaced to ensure safe and comfortable driving.

5. Can G-force be reduced on car shock absorbers?

Yes, G-force can be reduced on car shock absorbers by using high-quality shock absorbers, properly maintaining them, and driving at appropriate speeds for the road conditions. Additionally, having a well-balanced and properly aligned vehicle can also help reduce G-force on the shock absorbers.