Prove that sqrt of a prime is irrational

In summary, the proof by contradiction shows that assuming √a is rational leads to a contradiction with the definition of a prime number, which states that a prime number cannot be written as the product of two positive integers. The use of the definition of a prime number and the assumption of the uniqueness of prime factorization help to prove that √a is not a rational number. The attempt at a solution in the given conversation is incorrect as it assumes b/c is an integer, which cannot be assumed.
owlright

Homework Statement

If a is a prime number, prove that √a is not a rational number. (You may assume the uniqueness of prime factorization.)

Homework Equations

Per the text: A positive integer a is said to be prime if a > 1 and whenever a is written as the product of two positive integers, a=n*m, one of the factors is a.

[I assume what this means is that if a=n*m, then n=a or m=a.]

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof by contradiction. Assume √a is rational. Then √a = (b/c), where b and c are positive integers with no common factors. So a=(b/c)^2=(b/c)*(b/c). Using the definition of a prime from above, a=(b/c) and a*c=b. Using substitution, a=((a*c)/c)*((a*c)/c), which reduces to a=a*a. Multiply both sides by (1/a) to get 1=a, which contradicts the definition of a prime that a > 1. So √a is not rational.

I have seen other proofs that the square root of a prime is irrational, but they usually end up with a*(c^2)=(b^2) and use the language "we know a divides b^2, and therefore a must divide b," or something similar. I'm trying to stay close to the examples and materials presented so far in my text, and nothing about assuming an integer divides another integer has come up, so I'm not sure if that's something I can assume yet. Is the above proof, where I say a=n*m means a=n or a=m, correct? I don't think I used the uniqueness of prime factorization as mentioned in the question, so I'm worried I'm missing something.

Thank you for reading, and for any insight you may provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
owlright said:

Homework Statement

If a is a prime number, prove that √a is not a rational number. (You may assume the uniqueness of prime factorization.)

Homework Equations

Per the text: A positive integer a is said to be prime if a > 1 and whenever a is written as the product of two positive integers, a=n*m, one of the factors is a.

[I assume what this means is that if a=n*m, then n=a or m=a.]

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof by contradiction. Assume √a is rational. Then √a = (b/c), where b and c are positive integers with no common factors. So a=(b/c)^2=(b/c)*(b/c). Using the definition of a prime from above, a=(b/c)

No, this is incorrect. The definition in the text says that for integers n and m it holds that if a=n*m, then a=n or n=m. But when you say that [itex]a=(b/c)(b/c)[/itex], then b/c is not an integer, so you can't apply this.

Thank you for the response micromass. I knew I must have been overlooking something like that; it seemed just a little too easy. I will go back to the drawing board and look through some more examples in my text, and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the quick feedback!

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. Examples include 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11.

2. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction or a decimal that repeats or terminates.

3. Why is it important to prove that the square root of a prime number is irrational?

It is important because it helps us understand the properties of prime numbers and the nature of irrational numbers. It also has applications in various fields such as cryptography and number theory.

4. How do you prove that the square root of a prime number is irrational?

The proof involves assuming that the square root of a prime number, let's say p, is rational. This means that it can be expressed as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers. By manipulating this fraction, we can show that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving that the square root of p is irrational.

5. Can you give an example of a prime number whose square root is irrational?

Yes, an example is the prime number 11. Its square root is approximately 3.31662479, which is a non-repeating and non-terminating decimal, making it an irrational number.