ARM tool to view register usage

• Thread starter ksatria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm
In summary, The individual is having trouble finding information about ARM registers and their usage. They are looking for a tool that can provide statistics on register usage, specifically if the frame pointer is being used. They have checked the code but are unsure if the register is being used elsewhere. They are wondering if there is a tool that can provide this information.
ksatria
I tried googling on it, but can't find the answer, maybe the keywords doesn't accurate so always led me to definition of each ARM registers instead of what I want to know.

What I want to know is: is there any tool for ARM that give some statistic on register usage?
for example giving information that r0 to r10 are used within my code, but r11 is never used.

my motivation is: I realize that armcc by default omit frame pointer usage (i.e. will use FP / frame pointer as general purpose register), however I can't see in the dissasembly that FP or r11 is used (even for scratch), but of course I only check on small piece of code, not all image, maybe r11 is used somewhere else, that's why I wondering is there any tool to give statistic on usage of each ARM registers.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of the ARM tool to view register usage?

The ARM tool to view register usage is used to analyze and monitor the usage of registers in a program or system. This allows for better understanding of how the program is utilizing resources and can aid in identifying and troubleshooting issues.

2. How does the ARM tool to view register usage work?

The tool works by reading and displaying the values stored in the registers at specific points in the program's execution. It can also track changes to the registers over time, providing a visual representation of how the program is using the registers.

3. Can the ARM tool to view register usage be used for both hardware and software development?

Yes, the tool can be used for both hardware and software development. It is commonly used in embedded systems development for monitoring and optimizing register usage, but it can also be helpful in software debugging and performance analysis.

4. Is the ARM tool to view register usage specific to a certain processor or architecture?

The tool is designed specifically for the ARM architecture, but there are versions available for different ARM processors and architectures, such as ARMv7 and ARMv8. Some versions may also support other architectures.

5. Can the ARM tool to view register usage be used in real-time?

Yes, the tool can be used in real-time to monitor and analyze register usage as the program is running. This can be especially helpful for debugging and optimizing performance in time-sensitive applications.