Aerospace Engineering and propulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to pursue a degree in aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering. The speaker shares their personal experience in graduating with a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, with a focus on propulsion. They mention that while they found the subject interesting, they have struggled to find a job in the field. They suggest considering internships and obtaining a master's degree. The speaker also notes that mechanical engineering may have more job opportunities and it is common for people to pursue a master's degree in aerospace after obtaining a bachelor's in mechanical engineering.
Ad-Astra
Hello
In a few weeks I'll have to chose which degree and University to attend (I am an undergraduate). I was thinking about aerospace engineering, though I haven't really made up my mind yet. At first I wanted to take astrophysics, but once I understood that eventually I would have ended up teaching I changed my mind. I chose Aerospace Eng because it's still related to space, but with an higher chance of finding a job. At this point I asked myself what I wanted to do in this field, and I thought about propulsion, since my greatest dream would be making the distance between men and stars a little bit shorter (I know it's foolish and nearly impossible). I'd like especially to design propulsion systems, and I'd also like to make research in the field. What I wanted to know is:
Is taking an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Eng the right choice? Or should I take Mechanical engineering?
(I was thinking about a bachelor degree in Aerospace Eng. at the University of Delft, Holland)
Please note that in Holland you must have a bachelor degree in order to undertake a master)
Thank you in advance for your replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey
I can give you some information specific to my experience which may or may not be indicative of the majority of people who go for aerospace engineering. I graduated December 2011 with my bachelors in AE and a "focus" on propulsion. The "focus" constituted my choice of graduate-level electric and chemical propulsion electives during my senior year.

First, on the positive side: I think AE was an interesting subject, and for me personally, it turned out to be more interesting than mechanical engineering which I originally intended to go into. If you really love it, do it.

Negative: I can NOT find a job now that I graduated. I was an average student graduating with a 3.2 overall and 3.66 my senior year. I do not have any experience however. Do not let this alone scare you from committing though and talk to other people. I'm also from the states so I'm not sure the status of job availability in EU.

If you do intend on going into aerospace I would say give it everything you got and come out on the top of your class. Also, it's probably a good idea to get your master degree and make sure you do INTERNSHIPS.

Mechanical definitely has more job opportunities. Another thing is that it is not uncommon for people to get a bachelors in mechanical and continue from that with a masters in aerospace...or the reverse perhaps.

I hope that helps
Good luck

What is Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, and other related fields to create safe and efficient flying machines.

What is propulsion?

Propulsion is the process of generating thrust to move a vehicle through a medium. In the context of aerospace engineering, it refers to the methods and systems used to move an aircraft or spacecraft through the air or space. This can include different types of engines, such as jet engines or rockets, as well as other technologies like solar sails or ion thrusters.

What are the different types of propulsion systems used in aerospace engineering?

There are several types of propulsion systems used in aerospace engineering, including jet engines, rockets, electric propulsion, and hybrid systems. Jet engines use the principle of combustion to generate thrust, while rockets use the reaction of burning fuel and oxidizer to create thrust. Electric propulsion uses electricity to accelerate ions or plasma, and hybrid systems combine different propulsion methods for improved efficiency and performance.

What are some current developments in aerospace engineering and propulsion?

There are many exciting developments happening in aerospace engineering and propulsion. Some current areas of research include the use of advanced materials, such as carbon nanotubes, for stronger and lighter spacecraft structures, the development of reusable rockets, and the exploration of alternative propulsion methods, such as nuclear propulsion and laser propulsion. There is also a growing focus on sustainable and environmentally-friendly propulsion systems for future space missions.

What skills are necessary for a career in aerospace engineering and propulsion?

A career in aerospace engineering and propulsion requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. It also requires excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD), programming languages, and other relevant software is also essential for this field.