Why Can't I Retain What I Learn?

• Thread starter blu3boy
  • Start date
In summary: Remember this?" and I would remember it because I had to do it for the class. So, if he ever asks me a question about the homework, I try to look at the homework, and if I don't know the answer, I'll look it up. (6) I also try to ask questions in class, and if I don't know the answer, I'll say so. All in all, it's just a matter of repetition and practice.
blu3boy
This is sort of a plea for help.

I feel as if I've depleted any kind of intelligence I had.

Freshman and sophmore year, I had no dreams, and nothing to aspire to. Because of that, my GPA was complete crap. I think it was barely higher than 2.3ish. Junior year, I took physics, and my physics teacher said words to me on the first day that really changed my views on my future.

"You're a brilliant mind, son. You just don't have anything to aspire to, and that's no good. Remember that guy who aspired to nothing a while back? Exactly."

I decided to pay attention in physics, and I found it to be incredibly easy. I ended the year with a 109 in physics, and he had to take AWAY 4 points. I got my GPA up that year to a 2.755, and after doing the math, I discovered that I can get it up to a 3.1ish this year.

The problem?

Well, I feel brain dead in everything I do. I decided to take 6 AP classes to challenge myself. I'm passing with an A in everything but regardless, I've learned that it doesn't represent what I'm learning. I have no retention - I go to AP Calculus every day and I find it annoyingly hard. This coming from that guy who had absolutely no problem in physics.

I feel as if I'm only passing because my teacher is really easy on us. Everyone has at least a high B.

I pay attention in class, and when I go home, I have trouble doing the problems, because I don't remember anything at all. The next day, in class, when he asks us questions about the homework, I look at it and I think to myself, "How the hell did I do this?"

Does anyone have any methods of improving retention, or do you think this is just a problem of motivation(That's what my guidance counselled told me)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you hit the nail on the head; it is probably just motivation. There are methods you can try that may help solidify your comprehension of the material. For example, before I start a new chapter in a textbook, I try to remember as much as I possibly can from the last chapter, particularly the definitions of the key terms. If I feel there is a significant hole in my memory, I go back and review, because if I didn't remember it, it is likely that I didn't fully understand it at the time.

Ultimately, however, if you aren't motivated, it's going to be hard to excel.

Something else to keep in mind is not that you've decided to start challenging yourself, you're going to find out where your limits are. There's nothing "wrong" with you because you're struggling to remember things. Everyone struggles with this as some point. Your struggles likely have to do with the fact that you're getting new information at higher rate and higher degree of complexity than you ever have. Your old methods for absorbing it aren't as efficient.

The good news is there are a lot of things you can do about it. These include:

(1) Take a hard look at how you're studying. Is there anything you can do to improve your tehnique? Do you simply have to watch less TV and put more time in? Do you need to review topics more frequently? Do you need to solve more problems? Simpler or harder problems?

(2) Have you over-extened yourself? You may have to gut it out for the rest of this year, but next year you'll know that this many intense courses keeps you from funtioning at your mean. Do you have any committments you can put off for a while while you focus on your studies (but still maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle)?

(3) How much of your time are you spending on unimportant things? How much of the noise in your head is devoted to unimportant things? What can you do to reduce these?

(4) What are the goals and motivations of your friends and the people you spend the most time with?

(5) Do what you can to live as healthy as possible. Get enough sleep (don't underestimate this one). Eat healthy. Exercise. Avoid unhealthy activities like smoking.

Good luck.

There are methods of improving retention. Pretty simple ones.

First of all, I always learned mostly from the textbook, until I decided I should probably make the most of the lectures, since I was there anyway. Anyway, if I didn't remember the lecture, I would usually be fine because I have the textbook.

As far as remembering the lectures goes, I do have some tricks. I got this idea from when I had physics or electrical engineering labs in my undergrad and the TA would go over the procedures at the beginning. Sometimes, there was really no choice but to pay very good attention and remember everything, so that I would know what to do.

Part of it is motivation. You can pretend like you are going to be beheaded if you don't remember everything in the lecture. I recall imagining that. Haven't done it in a while. So, then, what I did was try to keep summarizing everything that had been said up to that point in the lecture in my mind, while still listening to what was being said. It takes some practice to get good at it. Also, it's really hard to do it if you have to take notes (and if you have a good textbook, usually, you don't need the notes). So, when I did it, I generally wouldn't take notes, or else I would just write down only the main points or things that seemed like they would be hard to remember. Then, after the lecture, you have to keep doing that in your mind. Summarize everything that was said. Of course, like any good tool, you should use it only when it's applicable. In calculus, there are a lot of calculations that might be better written down, rather than remembered. It might be better just to try to see if you just follow why everything is being done, and then go over it again as soon as possible after class.

For any kind of retention, there are four main things you need to know. The first is that you have to practice remembering without looking. It does no good to review things by looking at what's in your book or your notes alone. Try to read one paragraph. Then, see if you can recall everything in that paragraph without looking at it. That's the way to make it stick. Read paragraph, summarize it without looking, read paragraph, summarize it without looking. Pretty simple. Then, review it once more later in the day, again, without looking. If you absolutely can't remember, then look and try it again.

The second thing to know is that you need spaced repetition. An easily remembered guideline is when you learn anything, review after one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month, one year. Don't take it too literally--you have to experiment. But, if you want to remember anything, all it takes is review. And, needless to say, it has to be done the way I said, without looking.

The third trick to remembering things well is that you need to make them memorable. If you are reading a novel, imagine what's happening as vividly as you can, and then you'll remember it better. When it comes to math, for me, that means understanding it. If I understand deeply, then I remember better. Pictures and using your imagination are very helpful in improving retention. Studies have proven this, by the way, I'm not just saying this. Unfortunately, here, you're somewhat at the mercy of the way the subject is being taught. Your teacher may not be showing you all the pictures that help to remember everything. There are a lot of triangles that you can draw for trigonometry. Finally, some of these tricks are accessible only to people who have very strong visual thinking skills. For example, to remember what the derivative of sine is, there is a picture that flashes before my mind's eye. Part of the trick is that visualization aids memory, but another part of the trick is that I am actually checking that my answer is correct through visual reasoning, not just recalling it by rote. Using pure memorization is dangerous because it's easy to remember it wrong. If you understand it, you can check that it's correct. The sine derivative trick is one particular secret that I think is not known to many people other than myself (Tristan Needham discusses the corresponding trick for tangent in his book Visual Complex Analysis). Even for me, if I teach the typical calculus student, I'm not likely to mention it, simply because I expect that they will find it too foreign.

Finally, the fourth trick to retention is how you structure your knowledge. The underlying principle here is that things are easier to remember if they are related to each other. So, you want to try to relate one thing to as many other things as you can. Again, this can be difficult if it's not already done well for you by your teachers and the curriculum itself.

I should also mention that learning by doing is also a good strategy. Do extra problems. That's another way to improve retention.

I can understand your frustration and concern about your lack of retention. It is important to first acknowledge that intelligence and retention are not fixed traits, but rather skills that can be developed and improved upon. It is also important to note that motivation plays a significant role in learning and retaining information.

In your case, it seems that your motivation and aspirations have greatly improved since your physics teacher's words of encouragement. This is a good starting point, as having a goal or purpose can greatly enhance your retention and understanding of a subject. It is also great to hear that you are challenging yourself with 6 AP classes, as this shows a strong desire to learn and improve.

One possible explanation for your difficulty in retaining information could be due to the sheer amount of information you are trying to absorb in a short period of time. Taking 6 AP classes is a rigorous workload, and it is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself. It may be helpful to prioritize your classes and focus on the ones that are most important to you and your future goals.

Additionally, there are various methods you can try to improve your retention. One effective technique is to engage in active learning, where you actively participate in class discussions, take notes, and summarize information in your own words. This not only helps with retention, but also enhances understanding and critical thinking skills. Another method is to regularly review and practice the material, rather than cramming before exams. This allows for more long-term retention and understanding of the material.

It is also important to regularly assess your understanding of the material. If you find yourself struggling with a certain concept or topic, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or peers for clarification. This not only helps with retention, but also shows a strong dedication to learning.

In conclusion, retention is a skill that can be improved with the right techniques and mindset. Keep in mind that it is normal to struggle with certain subjects and it is important to not be too hard on yourself. Continue to seek support and actively engage in your learning, and I am confident that you will see improvements in your retention and overall academic performance.

1. Why do I have no retention in my experiments?

There could be several reasons for having no retention in your experiments. One possibility is that your experimental conditions or procedures are not conducive to retaining information. Another possibility is that your participants may not be paying attention or engaging with the material. Additionally, it could be due to a lack of motivation or prior knowledge on the subject. It is important to carefully analyze your experimental design and consider these factors when trying to improve retention.

2. How can I improve retention in my experiments?

To improve retention in your experiments, you can try implementing different study techniques such as spaced repetition, active learning, and mnemonic devices. It is also important to create a conducive learning environment and to engage participants with interactive materials and activities. Additionally, providing incentives or rewards for successful retention can also help improve overall retention rates.

3. What role does repetition play in retention?

Repetition is a key factor in retaining information. By repeating information, it becomes more ingrained in our memory and easier to recall. However, it is important to note that simply repeating information may not be enough. It is also important to use different techniques and methods to engage with the material in order to create stronger connections in the brain and improve retention.

4. Can genetics play a role in retention?

Yes, genetics can play a role in retention. Some individuals may have a genetic predisposition for better memory and retention abilities. However, this does not mean that retention cannot be improved through various techniques and strategies. It is important to remember that our genes do not determine our abilities, and with effort and practice, anyone can improve their retention skills.

5. How can I measure retention in my experiments?

There are various ways to measure retention in experiments, including recall tests, recognition tests, and assessment of transfer learning. Recall tests involve asking participants to retrieve information from memory, while recognition tests involve participants identifying previously learned information from a list of options. Assessment of transfer learning measures the ability to apply learned information to new situations. It is important to choose the appropriate measure for your specific experiment and to consider factors such as difficulty level and format of the test.